PDA

View Full Version : My lathe is back...Cabinets finished sort of

Brian Brown
02-06-2010, 3:27 AM
After a couple of latheless weeks, I finally finished (minus a couiple of details) my new lathe cabinet. As you can see, I put in as little effort as possible on the pics. The bright side is that all my tools accessories and supplies are now close at hand. They used to be piled on a shelf over the lathe. If there was any vibration, I would have a shelf-alanch, and all the tools fell on my head.

I was worried that turning a large object on the new cabinet would cause too much vibration, but so far so good. If necessary, I left room for a balast box underneath. The down draft under the lathe works better than I thought it would.

All my sharpening tools are on/in one cabinet. I haven't bolted them down yet, because I want to make sure I like them in the location where they are. The best part is that now I can clean up in a matter of minutes, and pull the other garage residents in at night. The cabinets roll against the wall, and leave room for the trucks in the garage. Now for phase 2... get the dust collector correctly installed for best efficiency.

Dan Forman
02-06-2010, 4:01 AM
Brian---That looks way too neat and convenient, an artist is supposed to suffer for his craft, and I don't see how you are going to do that now. :D

Nice job on the cabinets.

Dan

Jeff Nicol
02-06-2010, 7:24 AM
Brian, Nice cabinets, and very well arranged. Looks very functional and mobility is a great bonus. Thanks for sharing!

Jeff

John Keeton
02-06-2010, 8:22 AM
Great job, Brian, and I particularly like the recessed compartments in the drawer! Nice touch!

Looks like you planned very well - not sure there is another inch to spare on the sharpening station top!

Greg Just
02-06-2010, 8:49 AM
Nicce job Brian - everything thing looks very well planned. That floor is way too clean. I think you need to get back to making some chips!

Terry Quiram
02-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Brian

Well thought out but I hope you have a couple of empty drawers. If you are like me they will fill up soon and then you will be back to piling them on shelves.:D

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Really nice, well thought out arrangement.

Jim Slovik
02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Great job. I love it.
Jim

John Trax
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Brian,

Great looking cabinets! I am curious about the 'downdraft' you mentioned though. What is that? Can we see some pictures?

Thom Sturgill
02-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Well thought out except for one niggle. Where are you going to put the new chisels you will undoubtably collect? :rolleyes:

I really like the sharpening station. I had been using a second grinder as a buffer, but am thinking of moving that to the lathe for even slower speeds, and because I just replaced the buffing wheel with an mdf wheel for honing and like that so far. Right now that is all sitting on the top of my now underused table saw.:o

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Very well thought out and organized Brian! Glad you have your lathe back! Looking forward to seeing some new turnings!

gary Zimmel
02-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Looks like you are set up and ready to go Brian.
Everything close at hand and organized...
Nice work.

Brian Brown
02-06-2010, 12:41 PM
an artist is supposed to suffer for his craft, and I don't see how you are going to do that now. :D

Dan

Dan,

I suffered to long already. :D

John Trax "I am curious about the 'downdraft' you mentioned though. What is that? Can we see some pictures?"

The most descriptive pics were from when I was building it, and can be seen here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=130189

Thom Sturgill "Well thought out except for one niggle. Where are you going to put the new chisels you will undoubtably collect? "

I made the tool carrosel and decided when I filled it up, I had to learn the proper uise of my tools an there would be no more...... and tomorrow, pigs start to fly. :D

John Keeton "I particularly like the recessed compartments in the drawer!"
The chuck drawer arrangement is still temporary also. If I like it, I'll redo it with a nicer job. If not, I'll redesign.

Terry Quiram "Well thought out but I hope you have a couple of empty drawers. If you are like me they will fill up soon and then you will be back to piling them on shelves.

I thought in my planning I made plenty of drawers, but they are already full. @*%#)#@$

Greg Just "That floor is way too clean. I think you need to get back to making some chips!"

That clean (not very) floor was just for the pictures. A few minutes later, it was a mess. "But Honey, I had to test the new cabinet!"

Jeff Nicol "mobility is a great bonus."

The wife says I can tie them behind the truck when we go on vacation, and I can turn away from home. :rolleyes: Maybe not.

David E Keller
02-06-2010, 1:34 PM
Great looking cabinets... I must admit I first looked at these pics on my phone which is not great for resolution and detail. The dust port/PVC on the side of the table bears a striking resemblence to a roll of toilet paper when viewed on the phone... For a moment I thought you had created the most comprehensive turning station ever! Had to share that.

Brian Brown
02-06-2010, 1:44 PM
The dust port/PVC on the side of the table bears a striking resemblence to a roll of toilet paper when viewed on the phone... For a moment I thought you had created the most comprehensive turning station ever!

Thanks for sharing. Really! Now that I think about it, there is a buck to be made there. Anybody have any ideas on how to incorporate a comode into these cabinets? Maybe I can patent it! :D Turners around the world will rejoice. They can keep turning while attending to other business. What a time saver. :rolleyes:

Robert McGowen
02-06-2010, 4:47 PM
It looks like you knew exactly what you wanted. I have never seen the downdraft table built in like that. Nice idea.

Joe Mioux
02-06-2010, 10:37 PM
very nice!