PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit assembly question

Jim Stringer
02-06-2010, 2:13 AM
This is my first post on the forum. My first project that I'm building is a poker table. I have an octagon frame that I've already cut the biscuit slots. This will be my first biscuit assembly so I'm a bit apprehensive. I have the Bessey band clamp, but what I'm reading is that I should only glue one joint at a time. If so, how would I clamp the two pieces at 22.5 degrees?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Chris Tsutsui
02-06-2010, 5:11 AM
I'm not exactly a biscuit expert but If it were me, I'd get a glue that has a long work time before it sets.

Then I'd have a helper help me glue up everything quickly and then put it all together and band clamp 8 sides at the same time.

I have a feeling that if I glued and clamped it little by little that my 8th piece would not fit right.

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-06-2010, 7:49 AM
I'm not exactly a biscuit expert but If it were me, I'd get a glue that has a long work time before it sets.

Then I'd have a helper help me glue up everything quickly and then put it all together and band clamp 8 sides at the same time.

I have a feeling that if I glued and clamped it little by little that my 8th piece would not fit right.

I agree that working with all 8 pieces at the same time is the best way to ensure they *all* fit nicely. If you are concerned about the working time of the glue, then do only one or two glue joints at the same time, but dry-fit all other pieces and clamp (band clamp is a good idea). Let the glue dry, and then move on to the next glue joint.

Jim Stringer
02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I agree that working with all 8 pieces at the same time is the best way to ensure they *all* fit nicely. If you are concerned about the working time of the glue, then do only one or two glue joints at the same time, but dry-fit all other pieces and clamp (band clamp is a good idea). Let the glue dry, and then move on to the next glue joint.
That's a good idea. Thanks. What was making me a bit apprehensive was a friend was working on a project with biscuits and he said that they swelled so fast, he barely had enough time to set the clamps. Working with 8 at a time scared me more. But your solution eliminates that issue. Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
02-06-2010, 11:29 AM
It is challenging to get pressure on that joint to pull it together. Here's a thread about how I do it: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14650&highlight=clamping

Mike Henderson
02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
There are epoxy glues with extremely long open times - of course, they also need very long clamp times. I use West Systems with the slow hardener but that may only be available in large containers. System Three T-88 epoxy comes in smaller containers and has an open time of about an hour, if I recall correctly.

Mike