PDA

View Full Version : Question on tool handle

Tom Wilson66
02-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I just got a Hosaluk tool handle with 5/8" and 1/2" holes. When I tried to put a 1/2" gouge into it, the diameter of the gouge is slightly too big to fit in the hole:mad:. I then tried my Doug Thompson , and it fit perfectly:), but it has a reduced shank to fit the handle:rolleyes:. Is this normal, and if so, do I have to bore out the handle to make the gouge fit or do I file down the shank of the gouge?:confused:

John Keeton
02-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Tom, I would bore the hole to fit. You need all the metal you can get in the shank!!

Greg Just
02-06-2010, 12:00 AM
I agree with John. The Hosaluk might actually be a metric sized tool and not truly a 1/2 inch.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2010, 12:22 AM
I am guessing it is a metric measurement.

Terry Quiram
02-06-2010, 10:15 AM
How big is your lathe? Chuck the tool up in your lathe and sand the end with emery cloth. Much easier than trying to bore a larger hole in the handle.

Jack Brown
02-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Tom,
I have several Hosaluk handles and I have no trouble fitting 1/2 " gouges in the 1/2" hole. As a mater of fact the small hole is 34/64 and the large hole is 42/64. If your gouge doesn't fit the small hole put it in the large hole and tighten the screws, it won't hurt a thing, I do it all the time with a 3/8" gouge in the 1/2" hole. The body on a Doug Thompson gouge is a bit larger than the shank and I always put the body end in the handle when I carry them to demos and other shops to protect the cutting edge. I think you will have a difficult time sanding the tool or drilling out the handle. Hope this helps.
Jack

George Morris
02-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Contact Husaluk he can give you a adapter for what you need. Great people! G

Tom Wilson66
02-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks for all the good replies, made me start thinking again. Forgot that some of the stock used on the gouges is metric. Apparentlythe handle has been drilled in fractional measure, and is just smaller than the metric equivalent. Guess the thing to do is find some correct sized metric drills and figure a way to drill out the holes. Has no one done this before? If so, would like some hints on how to do it.

Ryan Baker
02-07-2010, 5:01 PM
I have drilled out handles like that, and I do not recommend trying it unless you have access to a lathe (preferably a metal lathe) big enough to chuck up the whole handle. It sounds easy, but it doesn't work quite that way. If you want to do it that way, I recommend getting a proper sized reamer instead of trying to drill it (one with a pilot would be even better).