PDA

View Full Version : Seriously considering a Kapex but...

johnny means
02-05-2010, 11:05 PM
it has one small problem I can't seem to get over. No, not the ludicrous price tag. It's that pistol grip handle.

Does anyone else out there think that pistol grips on miter saws are anatomically stupid?

Van Huskey
02-05-2010, 11:07 PM
it has one small problem I can't seem to get over. No, not the ludicrous price tag. It's that pistol grip handle.

Does anyone else out there think that pistol grips on miter saws are anatomically stupid?

I have had "pistol grip" MS in the past and never liked them, those with the Kapex say they grow to love it, it didn't happen for me with my old saws (not Festool) so I dunno if those people are different than me or just trying to justify their $1300.

David DeCristoforo
02-05-2010, 11:23 PM
"...those with the Kapex say they grow to love it..."

I would imagine after spending thirteen hundred bucks on a miter saw that one would learn to love everything about it!

Peter Pedisich
02-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Johnny,

I agree 100%.
I had an older Craftsman with a pistol grip and my wrist was always in an unnatural position. Replaced it with a DeWalt with a horizontal handle and love it. The Bosch saws have a nice handle.

Pete

Steve Rowe
02-05-2010, 11:59 PM
it has one small problem I can't seem to get over. No, not the ludicrous price tag. It's that damn pistol grip handle.

I used my friends Makita with a pistol grip and I much prefer the Dewalt because the grip is more natural for me. I never thought about pistol grips as being anatomically stupid but it seems to fit in this case.

Josh Gilpatrick
02-06-2010, 12:20 AM
I also had an older craftsman with the pistol grip and HATED it. Also a friend of mine has a makita with the pistol grip and i dont like it a bit better. I personally love my bosch, which is much like the dewalt grip. Personally i would NEVER spend 1300 on any miter saw. Absolutely no way it is 3-4 times better than a good dewalt or bosch slider.

Erik Frederiksen
02-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Festool offers a 30 day trial period.

Why don't you buy it, try it, and see if you can give it back again.

Brice Burrell
02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I really like the vertical style grip on miter saws and I think they are a better design. The horizontal handle can act like a lever to introduce some deflection to carriage. The Kapex's vertical handle is in line with the blade, by design there is less deflection.

As I said, I like the vertical handle design but I hated the Kapex's at first. It had more to do with the stupid safety switch. It was very awkward to engage the safety and turn on the saw, after a few hours I had gotten used to it.

Festool offers a 30 day trial period.

Why don't you buy it, try it, and see if you can give it back again.

Good point.

John Morrison60
02-06-2010, 11:07 AM
A required placement close to a wall caused me to replace my Makita SCMS with the Kapex.
I much preferred the Horiz. handle and startup switch on the Makita.

The Kapex will fit 5-8 inches closer to a wall than any other saw I could find, and it delivers sawdust to my dc system better than others I have used.

I believe that a properly placed horiz. handle will not deflect in normal use.

Russell Tribby
02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I've had the Kapex for over a year and I had no problem adjusting to the handle. I actually prefer the vertical style over the horizontal style. I'd echo what Brice said about the handle being in line with the blade.

Mike Heidrick
02-06-2010, 11:29 AM
I have a vertical handle on the Hitachi and a horizontal on the Dewalt. Both easy to use with either hand.

Matt Winterowd
02-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I've had a Kapex for about a year, and before that I had a Bosch saw with the adjustable handle. I bought the Kapex specifically for space issues, and secondarily for dust control. Bottom line: Handle is a non-issue. It's not super comfortable, but how long do you end up really holding on to it? The actual cutting performance is not really worth the premium, in fact, I think my Bosch was a little better. However, for me the difference in space and dust has totally made it worth the price. If those aren't your primary motivators, save yourself $800 and get a Bosch, Milwaukee, or Makita.

Paul Ryan
02-06-2010, 1:45 PM
I really think you are over thinking this. The vertical handle isn't bad it is the same as a horizontal handle. I have a makita with a vertical handle, and everytime I use a saw with a horizontal handle it feels wrong and unnatural. The makita feels normal. You get used to what every you have. The only saw I have ever used that I never got used to was an old cast iron base craftsman I had. It had a handle like a shotgun or rifle, stright back with a trigger underneath. I had that saw for years and it never made sense to me why the handle was designed like that.

David Thompson 27577
02-06-2010, 1:52 PM
Although I've not owned a miter saw without a pistol grip, I have looked at a number of them.

For left-handed people, a horizontal grip with the trigger located under the pinky seems kinda stoopid.

Just sayin.........

Brian Kincaid
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
For left-handed people, a horizontal grip with the trigger located under the pinky seems kinda stoopid.

David,
It is and I am (both lefty and stupid). But, I'd wager that the majority of people who use a miter saw a lot use it lefty and righty depending on the cut, material, jointed edge, etc.

The F-tool seems mega overpriced, and I have a few F-tools. But, I do wish I could put my Dewalt up against a wall :(

-Brian

Jason Roehl
02-08-2010, 4:54 PM
I have a DeWalt horizontal-handle, and I can't imagine using a vertical handle. The first time I saw a MS in a store with a vertical handle, and I grabbed it to try, my wrist gave me a little twinge. It's just plain bad ergonomics. For horizontal handled saws, simply grab the handle with your middle finger in line with the blade and visualize pulling down with that finger around the circumference of the blade at a moderate rate. An over-aggressive feed rate will cause deflection no matter the handle. I also use mine with either hand at times, and the trigger is two fingers wide, so when I'm using my left hand on the handle, I'm actually squeezing the trigger with more of my left ring finger than my pinky, and it's not a big deal at all.

Jason White
02-08-2010, 5:00 PM
I have a KAPEX and I'm left-handed.

I operate the saw with my right hand (most of the time) because it just feels natural.

I actually prefer the "pistol grip" to the horizontal style I had on my old DeWalt. I generally have my index finger over the top of the handle and operate the trigger with my middle finger. Sorta like I do with my cordless drills.

Jason

David,
It is and I am (both lefty and stupid). But, I'd wager that the majority of people who use a miter saw a lot use it lefty and righty depending on the cut, material, jointed edge, etc.

The F-tool seems mega overpriced, and I have a few F-tools. But, I do wish I could put my Dewalt up against a wall :(

-Brian

Paul B. Cresti
02-08-2010, 5:12 PM
I own a decent amount of Festool stuff but this one (Kapex) is a bit hard to swallow. I have owned only Bosch CSMS and they have worked well for me both in shop and field use. I currently have the newer 10" dual bevel at it's handle can be positioned anyway you want...I prefer the pistol grip position.

The only item to me at least that seems interesting with the Festool is the angle finder thingy that transfers to the saw. I own a Bosch angle/miter guage that I use with crown installs and it works well to get the angles based on spring of crown and wall/ceiling conditions. This finder will work with any saw.

jason lambert
02-08-2010, 5:32 PM
I had a dewalt liked it, one I got the pistol grip on my kapex seemed odd but after a week or so I don't even notice it. You adjust.

That being said it is the best miter saw I used and dust collection is great but it doesn't get everything. Not sure it is worth the price but if you use a miter saw alot then it is worth the price.