PDA

View Full Version : Hand plane identification

Scotty Stepp
02-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Gentlemen,
Anyone know what this is and how much it might be worth?

It measures:
overall length-8.5''
width-2''

Blade:
length-4.75''
width-1.75

The only identifying mark is a "3 & 4" on the face of the frog.

Many thanks!!!

Jim Koepke
02-05-2010, 10:55 PM
It looks familiar, but not sure where I have seen it before.

jim

Jim Crammond
02-06-2010, 8:17 AM
That plane is known as a Chaplin's patent and was manufactured by Tower and Lyon. I think they were produced from about 1875 to the early 1900s. There were several different models produced over those years.

Jim

Matt Edwards
02-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Yep, its a Chaplins. Appears to have a replacement tote and knob, the tote should be a checkered hard rubber, and the knob a painted black hardwood or possibly nickled metal. I have the larger version of this plane which is a 1207 (about a #5 size), I cleaned it a little and put an edge on the blade and it works pretty good although not a replacement for a Stanley of of the same size IMHO.

The prices on these seem to be kinda all over the place last I checked, if you want to get real excited, look at Bob Kunes website, if you want to be more realistic do an E-bah search of completed auctions for a Chaplins patent 1205 0r 1204 (i think). The lack of correct tote and knob will be a minus for the collector dollar as the hard rubber totes are kinda spendy when you see them offered by themselves, plus there is a metal trim that goes at the base of the tote to be accurate.

HTH
Matt