PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 and what I've found so far

Alan Tolchinsky
02-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi All,

I'm finding this lathe is making me love turning more than ever. It's just so smooth and quiet and a pleasure to use. But those of you that have one already know that. It's lived up to everything I've read about it and my own personal expectations. I'm just finishing up a cart for it and I'll post pics soon.

Now, a couple minor things for people just getting theirs or present owners. First, I noticed a very sharp edge near the lower door hinge area. This is inside near the door hinge. I first felt this when changing the belt on the lower pulley and I cut my left hand. No problem, I just filed it down but I wanted others to be aware because it could cause a nasty cut if not filed smooth.

I also noticed a way to make pulley changes easier. As you release the pulley tension lever with your left hand just lift the motor with your right hand simultaneously. It makes speed changes even easier since you are taking some of the motor weight off with your right hand and helping the change lever.

I know none of this is earth shattering but mostly I didn't want anybody to get cut on the sharp area by the door hinge. Hopefully they all don't have this. This is one sweet lathe! Enjoy

Donny Lawson
02-05-2010, 11:01 PM
I know what your talking about.I've had mine for a few months now and I love it more every time I use it.Great machine.
Donny

Steve Mawson
02-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Agree with you review of this lathe. Fortunately have not noticed the sharp edges. Glad you like the lathe and it is working well for you.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Alan - glad to hear you are liking the new lathe! I have been keeping my eye out for reviews and what folks here think of it because our turning club desperately needs a new lathe. This little lathe sure looks like it would work because most of our demos are on smaller items. The size of the motor, swing and the variable speed seems like would make for a good fit.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Glad you are liking the new lathe Alan.

Peter Lamb
02-06-2010, 8:04 PM
Me too what he said. Love it!!
Peter

Rob Holcomb
02-06-2010, 8:10 PM
I just ordered one tonight and can't wait to get it. Besides the things mentioned by others in this post as great features, having reverse is also a great feature when sanding. I ordered mine through Toolnut.com I couldn't any company that could beat the current promotion they are offering. Lathe, bed extention, Nova G3 reversible chuck and micro tools for $799

Alan Tolchinsky
02-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Rob, You're in for a treat. Enjoy!

John Sanford
02-07-2010, 1:38 AM
I'm hoping to win one at our local tool pushers Winter sweepstakes. I would SO love to score the lathe set. :)