PDA

View Full Version : Record 60 1/2 block plane help

Gary Viggers
02-05-2010, 10:16 PM
The brass knob has come lose from the adjusting screw on my Record 60 1/2 low angle block plane; no more bite, it just spins freely. Is epoxy strong enough to fix this? Are there any brands that someone has had good results from? What about a replacement part source? I've done some searching but so far I've not had any luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Koepke
02-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Not sure if these are the same thread as Stanley. Some Stanley and Record items are the same. Epoxy should be a good fix. That or JB Weld.

jim

David Gendron
02-06-2010, 3:23 AM
As for part you could contact Walt at Brass Bity Record And Tools.

Bob Easton
02-06-2010, 8:41 AM
Make that Brass City Records and old tools.
http://www.brasscityrecords.com/

Paul Saffold
02-06-2010, 3:40 PM
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Same plane as yours.

It was caused by my ignorance. I didn't know how to set up the plane. I had too much tension on the blade then tried to advance or retract it. Pulled the knob right off.:rolleyes:

One of my brothers-in-law drilled and tapped the end of the rod. Drilled the knob and put in a small machine screw. End of problem.

Paul

Gary Viggers
02-06-2010, 4:34 PM
Thanks for the responses. I bought some J.B. Weld and will try that before I go the drill and tap route. I just bought a Hock iron for it so I'd like to get this one working before I throw in the towel and replace it.

Paul Saffold
02-06-2010, 4:50 PM
Santa brought me LV's version of the 60 1/2. WOW what a difference!

Paul