PDA

View Full Version : Not a good day in the shop

Leigh Betsch
02-05-2010, 9:51 PM
Not a good day. My Bailey No 7 slipped out of my hands and hit the concret floor, a drop of about 34". :mad: Sure wish I had a wood floor.

Jim Barrett
02-05-2010, 9:54 PM
Leigh,
Bummer...sorry to hear about your loss...
But hey...just another opportunity to find another one...!! :rolleyes:

Jim

Jack Wilson
02-05-2010, 9:56 PM
Sorry man.:(

Mike Henderson
02-05-2010, 9:58 PM
That's really a shame. I had that happen with a Stanley #4. If you want an older plane with a steel body (instead of cast iron) look for a Vaughan and Bushnell 900 series (a 907 to replace yours). The body is drop forged steel. They use to throw them off of buildings in their advertisements. Don't buy the 800 series (cast iron) or the 700 series (cheap), get the 900 series. And be careful, sometimes people put a 900 series lever cap or chip breaker on an 800 and advertise it as a 900. I don't own any 800 series but I think the 800 has the Bailey frog mount and not the Bedrock.

Also, the frog mounting is the Bedrock mounting so that's an "extra".

Otherwise, the modern planes mostly use ductile iron which won't break nearly as easily.

Mike

Leigh Betsch
02-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Maybe I should just stick to woodies. :( It was kind of a special plane cause I got in trade from another Creeker.

Erik Manchester
02-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Leigh,

Condolence on your loss. I too have a concrete floor in the shop and like to use older hand planes and socket chisels. Fearing the consequences of a slip or loose handle I bought some interlocking rubber matting at an exercise eqpt outlet to place around my bench. Cheap insurance I thought at the time.

Erik

Jim Koepke
02-05-2010, 10:36 PM
That is definitely a sad day.

Sometimes people list just the base for planes on ebay. Might be able to recover cheap.

jim

Mike Henderson
02-05-2010, 10:59 PM
That is definitely a sad day.

Sometimes people list just the base for planes on ebay. Might be able to recover cheap.

jim
Jim forgot to mention that if you buy a new body, make sure your existing frog will fit. The frog mounting changed on Stanley Bailey planes over time.

Mike

Leigh Betsch
02-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Seems like there should be a morning period before a guy runs out and buys a new jointer. Kinda like when your dog dies, you know you're going to get another but you gotta remember the old one for a while before replacing it.

Jim Koepke
02-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Seems like there should be a morning period before a guy runs out and buys a new jointer. Kinda like when your dog dies, you know you're going to get another but you gotta remember the old one for a while before replacing it.

The old base isn't gone, it has just progressed to a new place in the shop. If you want, use a hack saw and make the toe and heel into knob and handle holders for when you are refinishing totes and knobs.

jim

Brian Ashton
02-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Leigh,

Condolence on your loss. I too have a concrete floor in the shop and like to use older hand planes and socket chisels. Fearing the consequences of a slip or loose handle I bought some interlocking rubber matting at an exercise eqpt outlet to place around my bench. Cheap insurance I thought at the time.

Erik

That's a good idea. I think i'll try that myself

David Gendron
02-06-2010, 1:07 AM
That's a bummer... It never happened to me and I hoppe it will never happen!
I think I saw on the bay a body for sale.
but take the time you need.
I just sold two of my jointer yesterday, a Miller falls #7 and a Veritas BU jointer. Would I known, I would have ship you the miller falls for you to use in the meen time of finding a replacement!
Sorry

Ken Whitney
02-06-2010, 8:53 AM
Think of it this way. You haven't lost a #7, you've gained a 2 3/8" chisel plane.

Ken

lowell holmes
02-06-2010, 9:36 AM
Sorry about your loss.

I'm getting to be fumble fingered my self. I guess it goes with aging..sigh..
Oh well, it sure beats the alternative. :)

It occured to me while reading this string that I could lay down some plywood sheets under my bench, maybe some toungue and groove.

It would sure protect my chisels. I've never dropped a plane, but I've come close.

Have any of you put plywood over the concrete under your bench work area? If so, are there any problems with it.

Ed Griner
02-06-2010, 9:45 AM
I have a long leaf pine floor in my shop,but sometimes I drop a freshly sharpened wide carving chisel,among other things,CD player,new carvings,etc.Some how the chisels always seem to hit a nail and get a ding.What I do is lay down carpet remnants(3'X10') where I'm working and cover the entire surface of my old bench.Seem to make a big difference,if I had a concrete floor I would probably put down two layers on the floor.Sorry to hear about your #7. I have two large heavy benches,one more for assembling,gluing,whatever,the carpet goes on this one temporarily to minimizes dents in project,then goes back on the floor for the dogs,after the project is complete,this seems to eliminate a lot of grief. Good Luck/Ed

PS:Yes! sometimes dog hair gets in the glue-up.

Leigh Betsch
02-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Ok the morning is over (it was just a plane you know). Time to start to reseach a new one. Anyone have an opinion about the Blum planes?
I will also start to look for a new base.

David Keller NC
02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Ok the morning is over (it was just a plane you know). Time to start to reseach a new one. Anyone have an opinion about the Blum planes?
I will also start to look for a new base.

Well, they ain't cheap, but this wouldn't happen to a L-N or a Veritas because they're made of ductile iron. Hard to justify the cost if you're an occasional user, but most of us on this forum use the heck out of this length of plane (which is why I replaced my original Record #7 with a L-N #8).

I don't have a Blum, and from what I can tell, they're not common. but I think Christopher Schwarz did a write-up on one a while back, and his opinion was favorable.

A couple of other sources for new wooden jointers are Crown Hand Plane (traditional style, but laminated construction) and Steve Knight (more of a Krenov-style plane). Both are reasonably inexpensive for what you're getting. The cadillac of new wooden planes would be Clark and Williams - I've owned one, and they're spectacular, but also fairly pricey.

Darnell Hagen
02-06-2010, 12:26 PM
That sucks hard.

I've never dropped a plane, but if I do I'm gambling that the rubber anti-fatigue mats I use will cushion the fall.

I got mine at a good price from Costco, my back and feet appreciate them.

harry strasil
02-06-2010, 1:53 PM
+1 for the mats being good for your legs and back and for preventing dulling chisels that get dropped, I don't use metal planes, except for the odd specialty ones.

When I do demoes where there is a concrete floor, I have a good sized chunk of Astroturf I put down for standing on and to protect my chisels and such and also to keep my light by necessity demo workbench from sliding around when planing. The Astroturf also keeps me from working chips and sawdust into floors that are carpeted, Motel and Hotel banquet rooms and such. LOL makes the housekeepers happy too.

harry strasil
02-06-2010, 1:57 PM
If you are lucky/unlucky enough to have Jim Koepkes problem, You just grab a spare and blow the dust off and Keep On Planing. LOL

David Gendron
02-06-2010, 2:19 PM
I don,t know about Blum planes, but other plane maker to consider are Phil Edward; http://www.phillyplanes.co.uk/ I have a mitre plane frome him and it is great. also there is DL Barrett & Sons; http://dlbarrettandsons.com/, I just ordered a set of four plane from them, the wait is quite long, about 10 months, better than C&W with a 2 year wait. Phil is prety fast, about 3 weeks.
Good luck finding some thing!

Steve Rozmiarek
02-06-2010, 9:10 PM
Dang, Leigh, that #7 looked a lot better when it left my shop! ;)

I'd use it as an excuse to try a Norris.

Leigh Betsch
02-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Well I'm a pretty occasional user so I could never justify an expensive plane on use, but that usually doesn't stop me from getting what I want anyway. It might just take a little longer. A Lie Nielson in on the short list but I gotta look at ' em all.
David If I would just finish up fitting my own iron to that Goldeneye I bought from you I might be ok for awhile, but some how I don't think the Goldeneye will make the grade even after I get it fit up.
And Steve yes it looked a lot better when I got got it from you. I'm pretty embarrassed to admit I broke it. Reminds me of when I was a 14 yr old kid. A family friend gave me a single shot shotgun. I had to tell him that I split the barrel, dumb kid stuff. I would have rather lost my eye than tell him I wrecked it, but I learned a lesson or two. And if you have another laying around name your price, in a pm of course, no sense in letting everyone know my penance!

James Taglienti
02-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Gee im really sorry to see that... upsides are:
1. excuse to shop for another one
2. you can let Jim come up with a creative sales pitch for it
3. you'll have at least 5 razor sharp chisels after this is over