PDA

View Full Version : Big Leaf Maple burl - Finished??!??!!

John Keeton
02-05-2010, 6:25 PM
Well, here it is, on the pedestal - but, not glued. Aside from several coats of poly, am I finished?

What sayeth the group?

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2010, 6:32 PM
John - looks really good to me! About the only thing is - I would like to see the piece rotated so I can see the inside a little.

Mark Hubl
02-05-2010, 6:40 PM
Touchdown! The pedestal looks good John. Nice job.

Scott Lux
02-05-2010, 6:42 PM
I'm gonna go contrarian. I think it's spectacular, but I prefer it without the pedestal. It's a beautiful piece, and I'm more than a little jealous of your skill and talent.

Scott

Baxter Smith
02-05-2010, 6:42 PM
Quite a specimen!:D

Curt Fuller
02-05-2010, 7:32 PM
John, that's just plain beautiful! I too would like to see a full frontal view with it sitting on the pedestal. That's really a beautiful piece of work!

Doug W Swanson
02-05-2010, 7:39 PM
John,

Your piece looks very nice. It really looks like something from a veteran turner and not a 'newbie'.

About the only minor changes I can see (and they are very minor things) are to have the ball in the pedestal match the ball in the finial and to make the pedestal a little shorter.

Even if you left it like it is, it is still spectacular.

JMO!
Doug

David E Keller
02-05-2010, 7:45 PM
Really nice. You've done a wonderful job on the base. I'm with the others about another photo.

Just a question... Should both the base and finial have the same ball?(ie both walnut or both burl?). I like it as, but I'm curious about what the others think.

Gary Chester
02-05-2010, 7:55 PM
Excellent... now go have a nice sip of scotch!

I like the base!

Also waiting for that front view...

Michael Jasani
02-05-2010, 8:14 PM
Very unique! Looks great! Would also like to see a picture from top and the front.

Jon Finch
02-05-2010, 8:15 PM
VERY impressive, John. For me, the piece works better with the base. Your finial/spindle work is awesome. I have such a hard time making balls. Clean a spot off the shelf in the living room, front and center.

gary Zimmel
02-05-2010, 8:28 PM
A fitting piece for the display cabinet John.
Excellent job on bringing that burl to life...

Dolan Brown
02-05-2010, 8:32 PM
Wow!! That is amazing. Are you sure you are a newbie?:D

Bill Bolen
02-05-2010, 8:35 PM
Superb piece John. Congrat's are in order...Bill..

Tony De Masi
02-05-2010, 8:55 PM
John, although IMO you did a good job on the pedestal I actually prefer the piece without it. My eye just keeps going up and down the entire piece instead of pulling me to keep looking at the wonderful looking burl. JMO so consider the source.

Tony

charlie knighton
02-05-2010, 9:00 PM
you have to make decesion, learn from it and use what you learned on your next turning

Thom Sturgill
02-05-2010, 9:07 PM
John, although IMO you did a good job on the pedestal I actually prefer the piece without it. My eye just keeps going up and down the entire piece instead of pulling me to keep looking at the wonderful looking burl. JMO so consider the source.

Tony

That's an important function of good art. Make the eye travel over the entire piece instead of focusing on a single point. John, excellent job, I'm glad you took my advice and turned this into a 'crowned hollow form'. I do agree with Steve that the proper view is probably where the 'crown' is highest to the back so that you see the inside area too.

Roland Martin
02-05-2010, 9:20 PM
You've done a great job with this piece John. Hard to believe a "newbie" turned this incredibly beautiful burl, had the patience to wait for input from the group and pulled off what, I would think, a seasoned turner would have his hands full doing. I think I like everything the way it is. The walnut foot and walnut/burl finial I feel works well. To me, adding a burl on the foot would deminish the the impact of the upper burls, IMO. SAVOR THE MOMENT!!!

Steve Mawson
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Add me to the list that like the pedestal however for me to tell for sure you should ship it to Nebraska. After it sits on my table for some time I will be able to give you a final opinion. Naturally I will give you credit for the piece to anyone that would ask. Great work!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2010, 10:28 PM
John that is absolutely beautiful. The pedestal looks mighty fine. Well done. Just turn it 90 degrees so we can see the inside.

Keith Westfall
02-05-2010, 10:42 PM
WOW!!

Now, aren't you glad you didn't just make "another bowl"? :cool:

Sid Matheny
02-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Oh Yeah! That is a wonderful looking piece John. What does your wife think about it now?

Sid

John Keeton
02-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the input along the way, and the kind words of support on this final phase. Sorry to be so late getting back to this thread - we were out with friends for dinner.

I did consider putting the burl in the pedestal, but decided it would distract from the main focus of the piece.

Sid, my wife likes it, but she isn't so much into the artsy pieces.

Pedestal vs. no pedestal was an easy choice for me. I think it needs elevation to show off the burl.

Here are pics from the front - couple of different angles, no flash and flash.

I notice in the pics that the pedestal appears darker than the finial. They are actually a dead on match from the same walnut. But, my "professional photo tent" of overhead flourescent lights, pillow case and trashcan to hold the backdrop just don't seem to give those high quality pics some of you guys get!!:o

Thanks, again, and I hope each of you has a great weekend and good shop time!

Tony, enjoy that snow you are getting right now!

Brian Effinger
02-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Well done, John! This really came together nicely.

I'm also glad you posted some more photos. Just turning the HF around changes my perception of it. In the first photos the pedestal seemed too short, but with the second batch I am liking it.

Really very beautiful. And what's even more amazing is all of the "firsts".

Brian

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2010, 1:08 AM
John - Excellent! I am very impressed!

So, did you have fun? I know you did a lot of turning that you have not tried before - but you grasped the basics and ran with it! This whole event was a great example of what can happen when you push the creative envelope a little! I'm proud of you!

Looking forward to seeing what you will come up with next!

Tony De Masi
02-06-2010, 9:24 AM
We are certainly NOT enjoying the snow. Just came back inside. I plowed last night but it's not even feasable this morning. Got at least 20" overnight. As I came up from the basement ten minutes ago I looked out the front window just in time to watch a 60-70' hickory slowly fall to the ground right toward the house. Missed by five or so feet. Forcast calls for continued cold with more snow on Tuesday so we are stuck for the forseeable future.:eek:

Tony

John Keeton
02-06-2010, 9:43 AM
Tony, really sorry to hear about the tree!!:( Hate it when a mature tree is lost, but you are fortunate with a 5' miss! Way too close for comfort! I guess we will see some hickory bowls down the road? Hope you dig out soon. Looked at the weather map, and looks like we are getting missed for the most part. It is snowing now, but the ground is barely covered and looks like the front is just about out of here.

Brian, thanks for the help along the way, and your kind comments.

John - Excellent! I am very impressed!

So, did you have fun? I know you did a lot of turning that you have not tried before - but you grasped the basics and ran with it! This whole event was a great example of what can happen when you push the creative envelope a little! I'm proud of you!

Looking forward to seeing what you will come up with next!Steve, first let me say that I did have fun. It was challenging, but exciting at every turn (pun intended!:D)

But, more importantly, I am humbly honored to have your blessing.:o Not only has your work been the source of my desire to try this piece, you have encouraged me, provided guidance, answered my questions, and generally held my hand on this journey. THANKS!!

Rob Cunningham
02-06-2010, 10:06 AM
John, that's a very impressive piece. Really beautiful work. I like the look of the pedestal and how it flows through the HF.

Dale Bright
02-06-2010, 10:22 AM
John, you did a beautiful job on this burl. The decision to do the natural edge hollow form was a good one. The pedestal and finial are very well done, as well. I usually do not like pedestals, on forms like this, but you got it right with this one. Very will done, sir!

Dale

Ken Glass
02-06-2010, 11:06 AM
John,
This is most definitely a winner. With or without the pedestal it flows well. The color combination for the finial and pedestal was a good diversion from just ebonizing each and the finial pulled in the burl from the form. You should be thrilled with this great piece.

Mike Svoma
02-06-2010, 5:47 PM
Great piece John. Being a relative newbie myself, I don't really feel like I can say anything contrary to such a nice piece........but.......I really like the captured burl ball in the finial and I think that the ball on the pedestal should also be burl, IMO. I also think that the portion where the pedestal meets the bottom of the hollow form should follow the curve of the bottom more closely. One again, just my opinion.

Mike

John Keeton
02-06-2010, 6:43 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, and for sticking with this piece through three threads!!!

Mike, I did debate another piece of captured burl in the pedestal, but decided against it. A couple of others commented similarly to you, and I guess it is just a matter of taste on that one.

On the pedestal meeting the HF, I followed to a great degree, the style of Cindy Drozda on the finial and pedestal - or, at least some of hers I could find pics of. I did this before getting her DVDs. She terminates many of her pedestals in that fashion. I do agree that flowing it into the form would have worked, and possibly would have looked better. Thanks for commenting - all input is appreciated!

Curt Fuller
02-06-2010, 10:02 PM
John, whether by beginner's luck or artistic touch;), I think you've really nailed something on this pedestal. You've given it both a sturdy, solid base that supports the piece well and doesn't look like it will blow over if you walk past while cutting deep enough into it with the details to also give it a delicate appearance. If that makes sense.
I also would add a bit of advice that helps me turn thinner finials, that is if you want a thinner finial. Start with a thinner piece of wood. I tend to get the wood round and begin to shape it from there. If it starts out big, at least part of it will usually end up big. But if you see that you want a finial that will be delicate, with little bulk and more length either start with a small piece of wood or at least rough it down to the diameter you want before you start working on any details.

John Keeton
02-06-2010, 10:11 PM
John, whether by beginner's luck or artistic touch;)....No question there Curt - beginner's luck!! Thanks so much for the comments.

Good advice on the thinner stock. My vast experience at this point includes the two finials I did for this piece, and the first finial I did on a little cherry piece - which was too heavy and out of scale! Learned a lot, but still have a lot to learn.

On the last one for this piece, I did start with stock 1/4" larger than the largest portion of the finished finial. I took it down to the general form, and then started putting in the details.

I am in the middle of watching the Drozda DVDs now - great stuff!! She has it down pat!