PDA

View Full Version : For those with a heat press

Martin Boekers
02-05-2010, 5:43 PM
I know, I know this is an engraving forum:rolleyes:

I came across this the other day from Conde and picked one up.
(other companies have a similar product, but Conde's has grips on the back for a pliers)

I have had a client interested in plates, but I really didn't want
to buy a plate press. I was looking to find someone to machine an aluminum disc for me when
lo and behold Conde came up with one!

They call it a "puck" in comes in 2 sizes. The one I bought is for 10"" plates.

This is a plate that I ordered from Marco/DTC
with a CLTT transfer.

If you already have a press this gives an option of doing plates.

Marty

John Frazee
02-05-2010, 6:39 PM
I have one of those pucks but haven't seen it in awhile. I do sublimation. Your plate looks nice. Is CLTT expensive to get into compared to sublimation? I know your not as limited to materials as sublimation but just what all can you use it on? I have heard the black is really a "good" black. I may need to get into it for doing trophy plates. Laser and rotary engraving takes too long compared to heatpressing but just don't like the "faint" black I am getting with sublimation.

Larry Bratton
02-05-2010, 9:08 PM
I have one of those pucks but haven't seen it in awhile. I do sublimation. Your plate looks nice. Is CLTT expensive to get into compared to sublimation? I know your not as limited to materials as sublimation but just what all can you use it on? I have heard the black is really a "good" black. I may need to get into it for doing trophy plates. Laser and rotary engraving takes too long compared to heatpressing but just don't like the "faint" black I am getting with sublimation.
CLTT requires a Laser printer like an Okidata or Minolta that uses oil less toner. That and some transfer paper and a heat press and your in business. You already have the heat press and you can probably buy a printer (and also use it for office printing as CLTT uses the regular OEM toner that comes with it) for $300 bucks or so.

George McGinnis
02-05-2010, 9:17 PM
I have been sublimation for along time using sawgrass inks and really like the images it produces. The black used to be a problem for me also but alot has changed with their blacks. I am able to get great results with the black on gold trophy plates, but there are lot of extra costs involved. Just wondering what price range our you getting out of an 8.5x11 print using the laser toner system?

AL Ursich
02-05-2010, 9:58 PM
I have the paper and bought a new Okidata color printer when I started.

I don't have the numbers off the top of my head but there is a wealth of CLTT info on the EngravingEtc Forum. I plug this forum over there all the time.... So I guess it is OK to plug it here... This is one of 3 Forums I visit many times a day....

AL:eek:

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
02-06-2010, 6:36 AM
Hi,

I have been using the Lyson sublimation ink, giving very good black results

Regards,
Saravanakumar

Martin Boekers
02-06-2010, 7:13 PM
CLTT is relatively cheap. I print with a Xerox 6360, I printed short run calendars, books, sell sheets, business cards you name it with it, and 8.5x11 full color photo cost about $.15 on nice paper. If you just print black, a full photo is about $.05. Just type is closer to $.01 a sheet.

It's hard to figure out usage until you run some quantity through it to get a feel for cost. Also High Capacity Cartridges will keep per sheet cost to a minimum. When the printer companies tell you how many full color sheets you can expect from a cartridge set, they only estimate that the image takes up about 15% of the sheet, So keep that in mind if you plan on doing full sheet photos.

The Magic Touch Transfer paper is about $.60 a sheet.

Technology has allowed for many different papers to be used (check here
http://www.papilio.com/) Everything from metallics to water slide decals to
static cling.

I use the waterslide decals for candles, if the event for the awards I make a group is at a dinner say, I always show some candle with logos etc. Many times I get a second order for those, so explore the possibilities.

I do Dye Sub also each process has it's pluses and minuses.
Most of us already have a laser printer or copier that will work. If you already do Dye Sub than you also have a press. So there really is no investment in trying it out.

I do mostly tiles but I do get calls to transfer images onto wood from time to time. Plates and acrylics, I have been getting interest in so I giving that a shot.

I have a hard time getting black with my Dye Sub (Epson 1400) as you can't print black ink only, it is a mix of CMYK, On the older Epson (C86) the driver allowed for black ink only. Actually it was a good basic printer until it died. R.I.P The Epson 1400 is a challenge at times as the paper feed doesn't always work consitantly.

If you already do Dye Sub you should think about trying out the newer transfer papers. If for nothing else it can come in handy as a backup if the Dye Sub printer is down. Or until you can Finance the new ink set if you are running low!:D

Marty

Marty

Dan Hintz
02-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I have a hard time getting black with my Dye Sub (Epson 1400) as you can't print black ink only, it is a mix of CMYK,
Your driver won't allow you to print just K? That's a seriously poor driver... why would a company hamstring themselves like that?

Martin Boekers
02-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't know , I talked with their tech dept about it to see if there was a way around it but they said there wasn't. (if anyone knows how to print black ink only on the 1400 please let me know!)

I know the printer wasn't designed for dye sub, but for a printer that cost over $300 there are a lot of people who want to print nice black and white prints. The prints come up a deep muddy brown.

I probably wouldn't have bought this model if I new that.

Paper feed issues after much aggravation, I found out out come from a faulty switch in the CD printer tray. It has to read as the tray is closed or the paper feeds directly through without printing. (does anyone actually print on those special coated CD's?)

My first printer this happened to was 2 months out of warrenty. Epson's basic tech channels didn't give any help and suggested I buy a new printer (don't they all:mad:)

I tracked down a corporate email and expressed my displeasure. The next day they called. I said I was disappointed with them and that their design was faulty and talked about the black ink issue.

Bottom line a couple minutes into our discussion they agreed to send me a re-furb no charge. That, they did right, but that should have happened through basic tech service from them. (after dealing with other's tech dept it makes me appreciate Epilog's soooooo much more!

Marty

Larry Bratton
02-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Okidata printers and toner rock for CLTT. The toner is really cool too for just printing on paper. It has a look that is like commercial printing.