PDA

View Full Version : Help buying my first Lathe please

Rob Holcomb
02-05-2010, 4:32 PM
Hello all,

Normally I spend most of my time in the General Woodworking and Power Tools section of SMC but I'd like to expand my woodworking shop by buying a Lathe. What I'd like is some help in choosing which Lathe to purchase. To start, I'd like to turn bowls and pens and a few other small items but I can see myself someday down the road, wanting to do table legs too. I have looked at the Jet's and the Delta's and the Grizzly's and I think I'd like to get a mini or a midi or however they are referred to and then if I want to do table legs, get a bed extention at that time. Also, from what I've read, buying a Lathe with Variable speed is something to consider. Would this be the way to do it for a beginner or would getting a bigger lathe be the way to go from the start? I don't see myself going all out with turning as I really enjoy making other things as well so please keep that in mind when commenting. Also, any information on preferred brand, history of problems etc. would be helpful. Every manufacturer tries to say theirs is the best so I have no clue! I'm not interested in buying cheap but I don't want to spend thousands either. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Rob

Rick Hutcheson
02-05-2010, 4:41 PM
Look at the new Delta 46-460. There have been other threads about it here, just do a search.

Tony De Masi
02-05-2010, 4:42 PM
Rob, based on how you described what your intent is for a wood lathe I suggest you look at the new Delta 46-460. Lot's of folks here on the Creek just got them with a bed extension too. Folks at ToolNut were running a special so not sure if it's still on. It doesn't sound like a mini is where you want to be.

Tony

David E Keller
02-05-2010, 4:48 PM
Agree with the Delta as a suggestion... No personal experience with that particular, lathe but it seems to be very popular.

I would most certainly recommend variable speed regardless of which lathe you choose. It's not a necessity, but I'd never buy one without that feature.

Some type of indexing feature would be useful if you wanted a fluted leg/spindle... Not sure how the 46-460 is equipped there.

I've got a Powermatic 3520B, and I couldn't be happier. Not sure you could justify the purchase if you are only going to dabble in turning, but I'd ask John Keeton about how that often turns out.:D Like most tool purchases I've made in the past, I've never regretted buying "more tool" than I thought I needed

willie sobat
02-05-2010, 4:49 PM
I would recommend buying a full size lathe. It will be necessary if you wish to turn for furniture (table legs etc). You can still turn smaller items if you wish. I was in the same position you are in 12 years ago or so and that's what I did. I have not changed into a turning fanatic as a result. However, I do love to turn for my furniture projects (legs, feet, knobs, decorative details). That lathe served me well until this year when I upgraded to a heavier model. I've posted a link below to illustrate my idea of a good starter lathe for you. However, it is only meant to be representative of the type. I don't mean to suggest that you shouldn't shop around.

http://www.amazon.com/708352-JWL-1236-Woodworking-12-Inch-115-Volt/dp/B00006ANS3/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265403111&sr=1-4

Kyle Iwamoto
02-05-2010, 4:54 PM
You didn't mention budget. IMO the best thing to do is to buy the most machine you can afford. Also be aware that unlike any other tool, the lathe has hidden costs, the chisels, chuck and sharpener to start... (Oh it does not end). As a Jet mini owner, I'd also have to suggest the Delta. If it were available when I bought mine, I'd have that instead.

As David said, if you started with the PM, you won't be unhappy.

Peter Lamb
02-05-2010, 5:03 PM
I too support the recommendation for he Delta. I have one and can't say enough good things about it. The variable speed ever so wonderful, belt change very easy, F/R, 1hp and you can add bed extensions to lengthen if needed for longer work like balisters and table legs. The only isse could be it has a 12 1/2 swing. The price varies from $550 to 4599Check Woodcraft, Packard and Toolnut at very least. I got thebest price no shipping charge fro Anchor Hardware for $560.
Peter

Wally Wenzel
02-05-2010, 5:10 PM
I have the Jet 1220 a very good lathe but had the Delta midie been out when i bought that would have been my choice. Wally

Joe Little
02-05-2010, 5:56 PM
Rob

I was you 8 weeks ago spending all my time doing flat work when I went to a woodworking show and was awestruck by the creativity I saw in working with a lathe. I have since bought a delta 46-460, taken a day & half college class on turning, rented library videos and am turning out some bowls and kindling. It has been a great transition. I find the folks on this forum inspiring. Good luck
Joe

Jeff Hanson
02-05-2010, 6:05 PM
Hello Rob, I ordered the Delta 46-460 from Toolnut a couple of weeks ago. I bought the package that included the Nova chuck, extension, and free mini tool kit for $799 (plus free shipping) It's on back-order, hope to have in a week or two.

Good luck with your decision!

Jeff

David Hostetler
02-05-2010, 6:13 PM
Dont write off the new PSI Turncrafter Commander VS. Lots of good features, and PSI does sell some really well made stuff.

If you are budget minded, and don't mind buying the cheap brand, the Central Machinery #34706 is a very well regarded lathe. Just be sure you get that one and not the cheapo steel bed model.. The 34706 is pretty much a clone of the Jet 1236, I've got one, and it is a hoot to turn on... (just wish I was better at it, limitation of the user, not the tool).

Skip Spaulding
02-05-2010, 6:31 PM
Rob, I started with a used Craftsman single tube lathe, moved up to a Nova 1624-44, added new 3ph. 2hp motor and VFD. Guess my point is, if you are like most of us, the table saw becomes a place to store bowls etc.! Go to a local club if possible or find someone in your area that turns and try their lathe. If you have the money, the bigger the better. The PM 3520 seems to get a lot of hype on this site.

Allen Neighbors
02-05-2010, 6:34 PM
Which ever lathe you buy, I suggest that you stick with Variable Speed... not just belt changing. I have one of each. The VS is the way to go.

alex carey
02-05-2010, 7:27 PM
Sounds like you want something just a little above the mini lathe so I would suggest the General International Maxi Lathe 25-200.

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/lathe/25-200.html

I had this guy for a while and loved it. The original product had a problem with the motor, I called them and they got it fixed ASAP, afterwards it was right as rain. With the bed extension you'll pay around 850$ I think.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=138294&d=1263420813

Long as your willing to put a little work into a table you'll have a pretty sturdy lathe.

Scott Lux
02-05-2010, 7:52 PM
I can't recommend a specific midi, as I don't have one. But I will say go for the variable speed. It is a joy to use. Very often a piece will be out of balance, and just raising or lowering the speed a hair smooths it out.

Lux

Rob Holcomb
02-05-2010, 9:02 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. It's a daunting task when starting out, that's for sure. Can anyone tell me what accessories are absolutely necessary to get started? I know I have to buy some chisels also but is there anything that doesn't come with a lathe to get started? A chuck etc.?

alex carey
02-05-2010, 9:11 PM
A Chuck, a grinder and most likely a sharpening system(wolverine) unless you want to go free hand, Face shield/dust mask.

Thom Sturgill
02-05-2010, 9:29 PM
Rob, you've gotten a lot of good advice, The Delta is well thought of, and with bed extension should do anything you need up to an including 12" bowls. Has anybody warned you that this is a vortex? You get sucked in FAST. And enjoy it all the way!!

Many turners starting on a midi like the Delta or Jet 1220 (what I own) WILL upgrade after a few years, but tend to hold on to their midi. Not so much with larger lathes maybe (space limitations?) I know that I want either a Big Jet or the mustard monster (powermatic ) but do not intend to sell my 1220.

As to other things, yeah there's lots. A chuck for sure although you can do a lot with just a faceplate and centers (they come with the lathe). Grizzly probably has the best entry priced scroll chuck and Harbor Freight has a good starter set of chisels. Lots of people recommend them until you learned to sharpen. And speaking of sharpening, most seem to like the Woodcraft low speed 8" grinder ( I went through 3 different grinders before I bought a delta slow 8" variable speed grinder) Also the wolverine sharpening system.

Did I say this was a vortex? Take a good look at the money in your wallet, you may never see any in it again.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-05-2010, 9:41 PM
I'd start with the Harbor Freight set. It's dirt cheap and a surprisingly good set. Around 40 bucks shipped to your door. I still use most of mine. I have Nova chucks, I think they are a good value for the money. Not top notch, but the G3 is a nice single key chuck. I'd invest in a good bowl gouge, the HF set does not have one. You'll get a bunch of Doug Thompson reccomendations..... Someday, I'll buy one.

John Trax
02-05-2010, 9:52 PM
Rob,

Here is a starting list, but keep in mind it depends on what you want to turn, if you are not interested in bowls then you won't need those tools for example.

1" or 1 1/4" roughing gouge
3/4" skew
1/4" parting tool
1/16" narrow parting tool
3/8" spindle gouge
1/2" spindle gouge
3/8" bowl gouge
1/2" bowl gouge
round nose scraper (probably in several sizes)
square nose scraper (probably in several sizes)

Drive or spur center
Dead center
60 degree live center

Tool rest to size to fit what you are turning

face plate
4 jaw chuck (many brands out there but jaws are not interchangeable so think about the future before you invest in a chuck)

Grinder
Sharpening setup (wolverine or any of several other brands)

Sanding equipment (paper, micro-mesh, angle drill)

Finishing supplies (friction finish, BLO, CA or whatever)

Assorted glues (CA & polyurethane & epoxy)

Buffing setup (wheels & compounds)

Chain Saw for cutting up blanks

Pick-up to haul the wood around:cool:

When I first started someone told me the cost of the lathe would be about 1/3 of the total cost to be set up. I laughed at them but I think they were not far off. Of course there is absolutely no need to buy a lot of this list until you need it. Start with the minimum and build as your skill and interests develop. If all you ever turn is pens or bottle stoppers then the tool set is much smaller and vastly different from what a bowl turner or table leg turner needs.

Steve Mawson
02-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Just do a lot of looking and comparing. Then you will just have to decide what is best for you and your budget. I have had quite a few and they just keep getting better. The first one was over 50 years ago with bronze bushings-no bearings. Lathes have come a long way.

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I have the Jet 1220 and have turned on the Delta 46-460. If it had been out when I bought the Jet I would have opted for the Delta. 1 hp, reverse, etc just makes it a good all around lathe.

Willard Foster
02-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I am happy with this Delta (see link for review)

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/d46715rvu.html

I have been able to make large bowls and long spindles. The speed is varied by moving a lever which changes the diameter of one of the pulleys. Very nice. I added a shelf at the bottom and added drawers below the shelf. (I used crisper drawers from and old fridge).

Good luck, you will have a blast.

Bill

Tim Hughes37
02-06-2010, 12:11 AM
I ordered my 46-460 today from toolnut and the package deal is still in play. It gives you the VS lathe, Nova G3 chuck, extension bed and Delta micro tools. I highly recommend it from all the research I've done and talking to fellow turners. It has the 24 position indexing, with the extension bed there is 42" between centers, 1HP motor, reversable for extra smooth sanding and a 12 1/2" capacity. I can't wait for mine to get here and start turning on it. I outgrew my other lathe very quickly. I echo the statement to get as much lathe as you can afford.

John Keeton
02-06-2010, 8:06 AM
Rob, in September of last year, I bought the HF 34706. My openly stated comment was "I am not interested in doing bowls, I just want a lathe to do furniture legs for my flatwork." My first turning project was just that, a set of table legs.

At the time, many creekers lovingly chided my niavety and warned that the vortex was far too strong, and I would soon be doing bowls. That was 10 bowls back!!

I got in on the ToolNut Delta special, and I am extremely pleased, and glad I upgraded. I don't regret buying the HF lathe. I used the 20% coupon, and caught it on sale, too. Paid $183, and sold it for $150. I consider it a wise buy, as it let me find out whether I was going to enjoy turning for what ended up being about a $50 net investment.

So, if you truly just want to turn legs for furniture, the HF will do that, and do it well. But, if you have the $$, and can do the Delta deal, you will not be disappointed.

Like others have said, however, you need to leave room in your budget for quite a bit of accessories, all of which you will want/need rather quickly.

Good luck with your decision, and enjoy the ride!!

JerHall
02-06-2010, 10:03 AM
You have gotten good feedback here. I just replaced my Jet Mini with the Delta 46-460, sturdy, well built, variable speed, reverse, and extensible in length. You can't go wrong with this lathe, and it will always be salable if you want to ever get a large lathe. I think it is a great starting point. If you have the bucks, space, commitment to turning then for sure consider a larger lathe. Next up the food chain is the Jet 1642 and then the PM3520B

Regarding the goldfish. You will need a tank, food, pump, a table to hold it all and a light, a net......So keep that in mind. I prepared this (opinionated) page to help turners I teach build an economical first woodturning shop. Might help you:
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=adv8f4kvqjnq_148g682k7hc&revision=_latest

Here is a nice sales video of the Delta:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpRzOdHv0VY&feature=related

Rob Holcomb
02-06-2010, 6:42 PM
I'd like to thank everyone here that provided input into my first Lathe. I just got of the phone with Sean at Toolnut.com and bought the Delta 46-460 promotion. Lathe, Bed Extention, Nova G3-D reversible chuck and the turning tools. Now while I'm waiting for the Lathe to arrive, I can go out and buy a chisel set. Thanks again everyone! I'm sure as I get going, I'll be asking a ton more questions!