PDA

View Full Version : Unfinished Spouted Segmented Urn

Michael Stafford
10-24-2004, 9:37 AM
This is the unfinished spouted urn from the segmented turning course I took at John C. Campbell last week taught by Don Russell and Troy Bledsoe.

It is about 12" tall and 9 1/2" in dia. with a wall thickness of around 1/2".

All that remains to be done is to glue on and blend the spout, part off the bottom and apply finish.

This piece is made from bloodwood, chakte kok, maple, wenge, mahogany, yellowheart, walnut, tigerwood, cherry and dyed veneers.

I have more than 150 pictures that I have to weed through and sort out showing the various construction and turning techniques. Don has given me permission to develop an article for fellow Creekers.

One thing I know for sure is that every one of the 11 students left this class smiling and more proficient in segmented turning. I highly recommend this class and instructor. :D :D :D

John Shuk
10-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Awesome work.

Ted Shrader
10-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Your Bigness -

That is AWSOME!. Exceptionally well executed.

More picture during construction or even an article would be greatly appreciated.

Well done,
Ted

Chris Padilla
10-26-2004, 5:22 PM
Look forward to the tutorial. I'm still managing to stay away from turning but perhaps one of these days.... :)

John Miliunas
10-26-2004, 6:27 PM
Egads...I'd have a hard enough time turning just the shape of that form, much less all the prep work to get it that far! :rolleyes: That's exquisite! How much time is involved with getting everything prepped for a piece like that? :cool:

Michael Stafford
10-26-2004, 9:36 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. Much appreciated.

John, it does take a while to cut all the pieces just because of the sheer number however not as long as you think. When you are cutting the compound miters you have to make a number of test cuts on scrap until you get it right. I have had some practice and now I am usually able to get it right on in 3 or 4 tries. Out of all the ring assemblies on this urn only two are compound miter cuts- the main bowl shape and the colorful ring above the feature ring. The rest are only miter cuts which are simple in comparison.

Once the segments for the feature ring are cut then it is just a matter of laying them out in proper order and drilling Forstner holes in the right locations, cutting plugs, gluing them in and paring them off when dry. In those flowers with an overlap the process is repeated.

Then the feature ring can be assembled, glued and clamped up using the stretchable packing tape.

Assembly takes a while but not that long. You do have to allow for glue curing time. Best part is it is just as easy to do multiples as it is to do one. At school last week we had assembly lines going helping each other. Sped things up considerably.

I will find out just how much work is involved when I do my own from start to finish and have to make all the setups myself :o .

John Miliunas
10-26-2004, 10:23 PM
I'm thinking I'm going to have to try one of those, once I catch up on this house repair/remodel stuff. :) I guess that should safely bring us to about the year 2012! :( Again, nice job and thanks for the additional info! :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-26-2004, 11:07 PM
GULP...............................SPEECHLESS!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Bob Hovde
10-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Stunning! I really have to get my shop finished so I can get to my lathe!

Bob

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2004, 2:41 AM
Hey Mr. Bigness.!!!!! :D

I want to learn how to do that. :confused: :rolleyes:

Simply beautimus!!!!!