PDA

View Full Version : Kids Table and Chairs

ryan carlino
02-05-2010, 3:17 PM
Hi All,

Finished a small table and chair set for the little guy (and his brother on the way). It's made from beech - was all 3/4" to begin with. Anything bigger was glued up. Anything thinner I sliced on the tablesaw (will get a bandsaw someday...).

The construction is all M&T with the only screws used to hold on the table top and seat bottoms.

After dying with a powdered aniline dye (in warm water) and some final assembly, I broke out the Rockler el-cheap-o HVLP spray system I got a while back. Despite its low cost, the thing actually worked!

The finish is 3 coats of Sherwin Williams Pre-Cat Lacquer diluted 2:1 with thinner which ended up being a nice formula for the sprayer. I used the 0.9mm tip. The lacquer was nice and forgiving for a newbie running the gun. I sanded after the first coat (serving as my seal-coat) since the grain was highly raised after the dye. The second 2 coats required no touch up. Only 2 drips, but I'm not saying where. Despite the stink involved, spraying was a quick and easy way to handle all the slats and round surfaces. Yes, I wore a mask, but on the last coat I had to close the garage due to the wind picking up and the temp dropping. That turned the place into a gas chamber which eventually seeped into the house. Didn't win any points with the family that night!

The tabletop glue-up was a learning experience. The first take looked like a set of steps. I had a friend run it through his planer and work some flattening magic. So, it's not quite 3/4" anymore :)

Thanks to Bill Huber for sending me some plans. They worked out great and the set has just enough growing room for the little guy.

Jeff Monson
02-05-2010, 4:07 PM
Ryan, Welcome to smc, and thats a really nice project. I like the design, very kid friendly, soft edges and legs, yet very elegant! Really nice work, you should be proud.

I feel your pain on the lacquer smell, no matter how hard I try, I still get comments from my family on the smell. I'm switching to water base. :)

Baxter Smith
02-05-2010, 4:14 PM
Looks great! Well made so should hold up for a few generations!

Salem Ganzhorn
02-05-2010, 4:38 PM
Looks great! I am amazed the table top was the challenge compared to chairs!

Marshall Border
02-05-2010, 6:47 PM
Ryan , fine work and something that should be pasted down thur the ages .......;)

Norman Pyles
02-05-2010, 7:28 PM
Nice job on the table and chairs. Looks like you have a very happy customer.

John Thompson
02-05-2010, 8:29 PM
Excellent job on the execution and the finish looks really good. Looks as if the customer was satisfied on this piece and may ask for more.. with the help of mom of course. :)

gary Zimmel
02-05-2010, 8:44 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ryan.
Looks like you have one happy customer there....
Great work on the table and chairs.

John Keeton
02-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Can't beat the look of a satisfied customer!! Nice job, and nice looking finish, too.