PDA

View Full Version : 3 versions of the Weaver Coping Sled...

Cameron Reddy
02-05-2010, 1:52 PM
I'm seriously considering the (non-air) Weaver coping sled. Problem is, Weaver has apparently changed the design over the years and I'm not sure which is the current or best design.

So, here are pictures showing the three different designs with my comments on each.

What do you guys think?

This one shows a guard that extends an estimated 8" in front of the base and about 2" behind the base. My thought is that I'd reverse things, with the guard extending further to the rear and short in front. Don't your hands move past the cutters thus exposing them to the rear? And when would you want the guard out in front?

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac200/cameronreddy/WeaverCoping.jpg

This one shows the guard extending further to the rear. I like that. But, note the top corners of the guard; they are not rounded.

http://www.weaver-sales.com/images-asif/jig-hold-down-manual-226-large-w-wings.gif

Finally, this appears to be the original design. It seem like there might be a guard situated on the back half of the sled. Clearly there is no guard in the front.

http://www.weaver-sales.com/video/jMTi.gif

Quinn McCarthy
02-05-2010, 2:28 PM
A friend of mine has that coping sled as part of his weaver 3 shaper door setup. He really likes it. I have used it a few times. I really like how flat the pieces get held in place.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Cameron Reddy
02-05-2010, 7:30 PM
Quinn,

But which of the three versions (or does your friend have a fourth?) did you use?

Chip Lindley
02-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Cameron, give Weaver a call and ask them why the coping sled evolved as it has. I am sure that OSHA or some other safety agency had input. All versions work identically. Only difference is the amount of *shielding* between the operator and the cutter. Here is the original, which I have used since the mid '90s.

J.R. Rutter
02-07-2010, 1:22 PM
I have a different coping setup, but OSHA did "request" that I have guarding on both the leading and trailing ends to shroud the cutter stack at all times. Since they seem identical otherwise, I would get the one with the most guarding in place.

Randy Henry
02-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Cameron,
If you haven't got one already, I just got a Weaver knock off. Ballew Saw and Tool in Springfield MO. has them. They are $120 and have a guard in the back. They are almost identical to Weaver's, but quite a bit cheaper.

Kent A Bathurst
02-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I have a different coping setup, but OSHA did "request" that I have guarding on both the leading and trailing ends to shroud the cutter stack at all times. Since they seem identical otherwise, I would get the one with the most guarding in place.

Doesn't that just grate on you?? Place I worked as internal mfg process "expert/consultant" - one of our plants was visited by OSHA. They wanted additional guarding on a machine that makes plated floor trusses. There had NEVER been an injury of the type they wanted to prevent. There was no machine with that type of guarding sold by any manufacturer in the world. $150k machine, their "suggested" idea would have cost > $20K, and reduced the max size that could be produced, eliminating about 5% of the production -but even worse, taken us out of the entire business that used those (roof trusses, other products). The hit would have been huge. And, with nearly 20 other locations with similar machines, we would have had to change those as well, or be subject to humongous "repeat offender" hits by OSHA.

So I asked them - "When will you make the rounds to our competitors - first in this market area, and then country-wide - so we aren't the only player whose production capabilities and cost structure is turned upside down?"
OSHA - "Well, that's not part of what we do."
Me: - "I can make it easy on you - I'll give you the target list of violators."
OSHA: "Well, that's not part of what we do."
Me: "Then tomorrow we will be at your Regional director's office, to start the protest process, because we will not do this. Please call her now to get us an appointment - here's my cell phone."

Issue died a quick and gentle death in the regional office the next morning.

Don't get me wrong - we, including me, worked very hard on workplace safety and invested $$millions - the track record over a 10 year period showed staggering improvements, and we maintained a stellar record. We would acquire other businesses with horrible safety records, and within a year have them at our level of performance, making life better for all those workers. It is critical to a well-run operation - you simply can't ask your employes to take one in the wing for the team. But sometimes it just got ridiculous.

Whew. OK. That's off my chest. Rant is over.

Cameron Reddy
02-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Good show, Kent! If you shoot me an email I can send you an interesting video showing shop safety. I tried to post it but I can't get Photo bucket to upload it.

J.R. Rutter
02-11-2010, 1:34 PM
I invited them in proactively, and this was one of many minor things that they found. I didn't argue it because it was such an easy fix. Funny how different inspectors focus on different "problems".

Kent A Bathurst
02-11-2010, 1:55 PM
I invited them in proactively, and this was one of many minor things that they found.

It's easy to get into a food-fight on that approach, but I have always been in your camp - find out what they see before you have an adversarial situation. They appreciate the "out in front of the curve" effort.

Mine was a really big corporation. Get on the radar screen easily. Coupla folks reaching for one bridge too far, IMO - can't and won't go into an operation like that and come out with nothing. A cynic would maybe make a comment about job justification, etc, etc.

We also had a small number of "I dunno, but that's trivial so we'll do it while you're here in the factory" items. We always had the Maint Supv with radio in the group - instructed to say nothing we didn't tell him to say - but have his guys geared up and ready to go. THe inspectors LOVE that - on-the-spot-response. Report says "I saw this, and I saw them fix it instantly."