PDA

View Full Version : Houston area turning instruction?

David Hostetler
02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Okay so far I have gotten a "Feel" for the lathe and all, but I would really like to know what I am doing beyond a book, and noodling around in my shop... I have been looking at the classes offered by Woodcraft, but I was wondering if perhaps the Gulf Coast Turners or somebody else did better instruction. I would really like a chance to get in, and turn a good project or two with somebody more experienced than me that can help me improve my techniques before they become bad habits...

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
David,

There are two very active turning clubs in the area. I'd consider attending meetings and joining one. I'll be they'd have a good idea of whom is a good turning instructor.

Dave Mueller
02-05-2010, 1:49 PM
David,
The Gulf Coast Woodturners is a great Houston club. They have a couple of guys that will provide training at any level. I used Bill Berry a couple of years ago and he came to my shop, which was great. We used my lathe and tools, so there was no transition to my tools . Unfortunately Bill was just in the hospital, so he may not be available. There is another person advertised in the January newsletter (http://www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org/NEWSLETTERS/2010-1%20January%20Newsletter.pdf ), but I have no personal experience with him. I'd suggest that you come to the next meeting on Feb 20 (http://www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org/CALENDAR/index.html). Also, the club has an annual retreat in Conroe that is hands-on for everyone from beginners to advanced - see page 2 of the newsletter above. It is a great club and an excellent way to get started.
Dave

Craig Powers
02-05-2010, 2:58 PM
David,
I agree with Dave's post. I would strongly encourage you
to consider joining GCWA and participating in the retreat in
May. It is a great time at a great price.
As for local instructors, there are two that advertise in
the newsleter. I've never taken lessons from them, but I would
if time permitted. Their names and numbers are in the newsletter.
As Dave mentioned, Bill Berry also gives lessons and I'm 99.9% sure
he is available for lessons. His number is in the newsletter under the
mentors section. I don't believe you can go wrong with any of
these guys.