PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidance for a Pet Marker (Memorial)

Jack Burton
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I couldn't quite find the answer with a search so here goes.....

My neighbors dog passed this week, and he is really tore up about it.I want to make them a marker/stone. I am new to the Laser hobby and would like to make a stone granite marker for his grave ( we bury our dogs in the yard around here), and I am not sure what to use?

Any Suggestions/Ideas of something that will look nice and hold up in the Yard/weather.

I have a 12x24 machine 30 watt fyi........

Thanks!

Tom Bull
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I have done a lot of memorials on granite. A good granite tutorial is here on about page 14 I think.

http://www.coreldrawpro.com/Library/CP-607.pdf

I get granite from counter top shops. They throw out tons (literally) of scrap. Look for something very dark, or you can add color after you engrave. I have found a product at hobby lobby called Createx Airbrush Color pearlized gold that I am doing a weather test on, but definately looks good once you figure out how to dab it on and blot it off.

You can do anything from simple name date(s) to portrait. I know that what comes from your heart will be appreciated by those who grieve.

Dee Gallo
02-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I made one for our little guy out of a black granite tile from HD. It is holding up well a year later and so are the silk flowers I put around it.

cheers, dee

Phyllis Meyer
02-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi Jack,

We like to add: "Your Paws Left Prints On Our Hearts Forever"

Phyllis:)

Martin Boekers
02-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Lasersketch has a nice selection of granite "bricks" in a variety of sizes.

These are fine for type and line art. I'd stay away from photo's on granite.

As Dee said too, for something local check with HD or Lowes they sell granite tiles. Typically 12x12 but either will cut it down if you would like something smaller.

Marty

Mike Null
02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Try this place.

They wholesale. http://www.custommarkersandmonuments.com/

Martin Boekers
02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks Mike,

I may have a use for this!

Bookmarked and saved!

Marty

Jack Burton
02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I'll try some black granite tile! Thanks for the input!

Tom Bull
02-05-2010, 4:01 PM
Good results are doable on granite. See attachment, not a great photo of the stone, but you can see the detail.

Jack Burton
02-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I picked up a few 12x12 absolute black granite tiles tonight. Any idea where to start on power/speed settings?? Is vector possible or just raster? Fill in with white paint after?

Thanks!

Tom Bull
02-06-2010, 1:46 AM
My 30 watt I start with 30 speed 85 power. Different stones will use adjusted settings. You want to be careful to not over etch granite when doing photos or small-ish lettering. Don't know why lower power and lower speed work better than a faster speed. I only do raster.