PDA

View Full Version : Router for Akeda jig

Philip Johnson
02-05-2010, 9:34 AM
Can some one recommend a router that works good with the akeda dovetail jig. I was under the impression that a smaller lighter fixed base would work good but the manual seems to suggest a heavier plunge base router. I have a bosch 2 1/4 horse one with interchangable bases but it sounds like the bushings may not work with it or might need speicial bushings. If I can find something good and fairly reasonable I would like to get a pair and set them up for dovetails and leave them.

Thanks
Phil

Robert Parrish
02-05-2010, 9:52 AM
I use a PC 690 with a clear base that works well.

Joe Leigh
02-05-2010, 9:59 AM
The Porter Cable and Craftsman seem to be the easiest to deal with because you don't need any adaptors to install the required bushings for the Leigh or Akeda. I'm pretty sure neither jig requires a plunge router.

Thomas Pender
02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
1617EVS with a clear base from Pat Warner - plunge absolutely unnecessary. The Akeda bushing screws into Pat's hole and it works great. It gives me the ability to see what I have cut vs. the black base that comes standard. In addition, the adjustment on my Bosch works great for setting the dovetail depth. (I use the horseshoe shaped depth setter I got from Rockler - which I use as much as any tool in the shop.) I would recommend using the 8mm bits - I have many of the older ones, but I do notice less vibration with the 8mm one I have (I also ordered an 8mm collet for the 1617 it is perfect).

Howard Jahnke
02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
+1 on the Porter Cable 690. I have 2 for the Akeda jig to eliminate setup hassles. Great router. Easy to handle, plenty of power. Also, the clear base is an absolute must.

Philip Johnson
02-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the replies I was leaning toward the 690 I will have to check out the clean bases, where is a good place to buy them

Phil

Robert Parrish
02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Philip, Try here http://www.thejigstore.com/products.php?typ=other_products

Jim Eller
02-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Two routers makes the job easier.

I use a Bosch 1617 with a D-handle which I really like and prefer for this operation. Wish I had another but I don't so I use a DeWalt or Freud as the second.

One of these days.....

Dave Avery
02-05-2010, 3:54 PM
The Makita RF1101 takes PC bushings. I like it so much that I sold my Festool OF1400.....

roman fedyk
02-05-2010, 6:06 PM
Any router you are comfortable with and that accepts the PC guide bushings. There are adapters for others but why complicate things if you don't have to.

I use two 690's on my Akeda. But I also use a Dewalt 610 and 625, and a PC 890. All do a great job as the guide rails on the Akeda make it relatively easy to use any router.

Michael Heffernan
02-16-2010, 9:28 AM
I have two Bosch 1617EVS routers for my Akeda BC24 jig. As another poster wrote, get a high quality clear sub-base that accepts PC style bushings for whatever router you choose. Ditch the black base that comes with the routher(s). I have two Pat Warner precision bases on my routers. The Jig Store (www.thejigstore.com (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/www.thejigstore.com)) also has a clear precision base for use with the jig. Make sure you get the base centered on the bit (both of these vendors have a fool proof centering post). I use the fixed base for the jig. With the Bosch (and others) you can micro-adjust the bit height, dial in the correct depth and lock it in place. Having two routers allows me to set up the DT bit and straight bit for through DTs and knock out joints very quickly.

Philip Johnson
02-16-2010, 11:19 AM
I picked up a couple Milwaukee routers I was pleasantly surprised, they came with clear bases and a centering jig. I hope to get out in the shop and give em a try this weekend.

Phil