PDA

View Full Version : 1st Turning Class done.

Patrick Doody
02-05-2010, 9:14 AM
Just finished my first series of classes last night, and I really enjoyed myself. The Teacher was great the other students were nice, and I learned a lot. I still have a long way to go till I'm making art but for now it's just fun playing.

These tops were the last thing we made in class, they don't show off everything we learned but they were the most fun thing that we made.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4331833498_3be68fde05.jpg

John Keeton
02-05-2010, 9:17 AM
Congrats on your first turning class - had to be a bunch of fun. I really want to get into a club. I think being around other turners would help so much. Right now, it is me... and you guys!! I have learned a bunch from SMC, but it sure would be nice to watch someone else up close with techniques and little tips on how to make various cuts.

Nice work on the tops - so appropriate to a turning class - little spinny things!;)

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2010, 9:24 AM
Congrats on taking a class! Haven't had the pleasure yet but sure sounds like they would be fun!

Looking forward to seeing more of your turnings!

Patrick Doody
02-05-2010, 9:30 AM
Thanks Guys, yeah it was great to take the class and it was really cheap as well, it was about $25 per class, each class was about 2 1/2 hours. All of the equipment was really nice, the focus was on spindle turning.

I also want to join a club, I attempted to contact my local chapter of "The American Association of Woodturners" and the national organization, but neither email was answered. Oh well, at least I took the class with a good friend, we are both planning on buying lathes. Our teacher was going to offer a bowl turning class after we all inquired about one, so I may go back for some more instruction in a month or 2.

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2010, 9:36 AM
Highly recommend joining a turning club! Lots of folks trapped in the same vortex - and a lot of help when you want to learn something!

You don't mention where you are located. If you did - someone belonging to your local club may even be a member here and would help put you in touch with the club officers.

Jeff Nicol
02-05-2010, 9:45 AM
Looks like you had a lot of fun and learned somr great things along the way. Every minute you spend turning will bring you closer to a world class turner! At least we all have to dream big!

Have more fun,

Jeff

Patrick Doody
02-05-2010, 9:53 AM
Highly recommend joining a turning club! Lots of folks trapped in the same vortex - and a lot of help when you want to learn something!

You don't mention where you are located. If you did - someone belonging to your local club may even be a member here and would help put you in touch with the club officers.

Good Point, I just noticed that i didn't have my location (St. Paul, MN) listed in my profile, I just fixed that. If anyone has any local information for me feel free to send me a pm.

:)

Gordon Seto
02-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I also want to join a club, I attempted to contact my local chapter of "The American Association of Woodturners" and the national organization, but neither email was answered.
I belong to two Clubs. My experience has been some of the folks who run the clubs are not the computer generation. You will have to give them a call to ask them to turn on their computer to check emails.

Tony De Masi
02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Patrick, don't wait for an email reply. I belong to two clubs and just showed up at each one. If the local club has a web page then I would hope that they include where and when the club meets.

Tony

Jim Underwood
02-05-2010, 6:25 PM
I also want to join a club, I attempted to contact my local chapter of "The American Association of Woodturners" and the national organization, but neither email was answered.

Ooh.. ouch. Doesn't speak so well of the local chapter keeping their contact info updated. Or if they have then it doesn't speak too well for them dropping the ball.

Of course, to give them the benefit of the doubt, you never know if an email got trapped by a spam filter, or just flat didn't go through. I get a lot of blocked stuff these days.

I'd give 'em another try. I'd rather believe an email got waylaid instead of ignored. If they have a phone contact, I'd try that instead.

Most of us in a club would hate to hear of a new member getting turned away. I'd love to help a new guy get to to a club meeting. In fact, I'd invite 'em over and get rid of.. I mean... give 'em some wood.:D

Congrats on the new hobby. Glad you had fun. That's the most important part.

Patrick Doody
02-05-2010, 11:27 PM
yeah the email bounced back instantly which means the address is no longer active. oh well, I plan on making a trip to woodcraft this weekend, maybe they know of a local turning club... I know they host turning classes there. one way or another i'll find some people to learn from locally.

Greg Just
02-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Patrick:

The local chapter is the Minnesota Woodturners Association:

http://www.mnwoodturners.com/

I have been a member for about 2.5 years. Great group of woodturners. There is a demo scheduled for Feb 27th at the University of Minn led by Jamie Donaldson. We normally meet the first Tuesday of each month.