PDA

View Full Version : Snow & Ice Hollow Form - now with modified Finial

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2010, 8:19 AM
Maple hollow form, 6 3/4" diameter x 8 1/2" to top of finial x 1/8" thick. Finish is multiple layers of Kiwi white Scuff Coat and several coats of Minwax water based satin spray poly. Finial consists of an acrylic base and bullet proof plexiglass for the finial - thanks to Nate Hawkes!

I turned this for an upcoming local juried Art Expo and am open to all critiques, opinions and comments!

Also, I knew the finial would have problems because I wanted it to represent ice or an icicle. I have plenty of icicles around here to check and found that they are not a continuous smooth curve but consist of a series of ever decreasing steps. Plus, how do you turn an icicle that will be displayed up-side-down?

So, keeping it as simple as possible (I like simple) - this is the design I came up with. Maybe you can see the icicle when viewed from the natural angle.

Still open to suggestions as the finial has not been glued in place! Also open to suggestions for a proper 'artful' name!

Thanks for looking!

Ron Bontz
02-05-2010, 8:23 AM
Just beautiful Steve. My compliments.:)

Peter Lamb
02-05-2010, 8:32 AM
Absolutely Beautiful! I cast five votes in your favoe You are definitely in the show!!
Peter

mike holden
02-05-2010, 8:33 AM
Steve,
That is beautiful!
If, IF, I would change anything, I would smooth out the transition curve from base to finial. Alternatively, make it an abrupt change. But this is a niggle.

Again, great concept and execution.

Mike

John Keeton
02-05-2010, 8:42 AM
Steve, this look and theme is a great compliment to the maple form. I like the white wash on the maple, and the acrylic/plexiglass finial really adds to the uniqueness of this piece. It has such great character overall, and as you have said many times, finials are such an expression of individual taste, many will differ in their opinions.

I can see Mike's thoughts on the transition, but if you continued the curve of the maple into the finial, the base of the finial would be too small IMO.

I guess one could undercut the finial on its base, and overlap it onto the maple in order to extend the curve, but I am just not sure how that would look.

We have discussed the step in the spire of the finial, and I think by showing the pic upside down, it really does work!

Just a very, very nice piece all around!

Tony De Masi
02-05-2010, 9:05 AM
Well you've done it once again Steve. You certainly have the ability to make your gift of turning into quite the art form. I think of all your "colored" pieces I like this one the best. Not exactly sure why and not sure that would hold up if I saw all three in person. It's just so clean and elegant. Wonderful work and good luck at the show.

Tony

Greg Just
02-05-2010, 9:07 AM
Beautiful piece Steve. I do agree with John and Mike about the transiton - perhaps a little smoother, but otherwise it is super!

MIKE E BEE
02-05-2010, 9:12 AM
An absolutely stunning piece Steve, and certainly worthy of being put in a show. Good Luck!

Joe Little
02-05-2010, 9:28 AM
As someone new to turning, I am stunned, it is beautiful!

Jeff Nicol
02-05-2010, 9:48 AM
Steve, I have a bunch of clear acrylic and need to attempt this type of turning, but turning has been put on hold for a while with my other steel projects! I roughed out a rew pieces the other day just to get a fix!

Great job and good luck at the exhibit,

Jeff

George Morris
02-05-2010, 9:53 AM
You keep raising the bar,they are better and better. Great piece,final is right on!

Thom Sturgill
02-05-2010, 9:55 AM
Steve, its a wonderful piece and I wish you all the best in the Art Expo. I do however agree that the finial is just a little 'off'. Perhaps the use of two different materials in the base and stem accentuates the sudden transition, so think about changing one or the other. BTW, I LIKE 'snow & ice' as a name.

Phillip Key
02-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Beautiful!

The finish makes it look so delicate. I like the finial as it is, myself.

Roland Falk
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Steve another beautiful piece and combination of materials and textures! BRAVO!

charlie knighton
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
as i look outside, snow snow snow, very nice Steve

Bill Bolen
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Beautiful piece Steve.I love your smooth flowing form and the color with the clear finial really give that winter time feel. I think it will be well received at the expo and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and a 1st place...Bill...

Tim Browne
02-05-2010, 11:06 AM
It made me cold just looking at it. I agree with others about the transition. This piece is stunning, and well named.

robert hainstock
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I too saw the transition as an issue, but I'm not sure if you realy nned to change it.Tis vry nice as is. :D:D:D:D:D
Bob

Grant Wilkinson
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Beautiful piece, Steve. I'm sure that you'll be a shoo in.

Walt Helms
02-05-2010, 11:49 AM
That's what ice looks like in Florida! :)

I've turned solid surface, but never thought about turning clear acrylic!

Very nice, Steve!

Bill Bulloch
02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
That is just beautiful! I would have never thought of using shoe polish. I'll have to give that a try. As for the finial, I like that one and cannot see where any change is warranted.

Baxter Smith
02-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Beautiful as is but can see the transition thing if you are thinking along the lines of the snow melting, running down and forming the icicle. Wouldn't look as striking but since icicles are not perfectly round either, can something like this be turned, then offset slightly, have sections slightly returned again, so no section is perfectly round. Just wondering outloud. I know you said you wanted to keep it simple.:) Good luck in the show!

Gary Chester
02-05-2010, 12:53 PM
That is a great piece Steve... you're just full of great ideas for the rest of us to be inspired by.

I think I like the idea of the lower part of the finial following the smooth curves of the HF better. But when upside down as an icicle, it's perfect.

And I like the name.

Roger Bullock
02-05-2010, 1:18 PM
Beautiful art Steve. When I viewed it for the first time (I view photos before reading comments) I was reminded of how everything is soft yet crisp after a new snow. The white satin finish gives it that soft feel while the form and the finial give to the crisp feeling.

I do think a proper name is important. It sends the viewers eye and mind in the direction the artist wants to send them.

"After the new snow", "Snow and Ice" or "Winters Beauty" are a few names that come to mind.

Hey SMC, Steve also asked for some help naming this art.........speak up, what do you suggest. What does your mind's eye tell you would be a fitting name for such a beautiful work of art.

Dennis Ford
02-05-2010, 1:36 PM
Steve;
Great job, this is a wonderful piece. The upside down detail view makes the transition from HF to finial look abrupt but that transition looks natural to me in the normal orientation. Your name of "Snow & Ice" is very appropiate, go with it.

Roland Martin
02-05-2010, 1:39 PM
Very nice Steve. A definite winner in my eyes, simple yet elegant work of art. GOOD LUCK!!!

Michael Jasani
02-05-2010, 1:51 PM
A pristine beauty! Seems like the icicle, pointing upwards, is seeking its Origin! Marvelous work. Congrats Steve. Definetely deserves a prominent place in any show.

Brian Brown
02-05-2010, 2:24 PM
Steve,

Beautiful piece. I really like the form on the snow and mostly on the icicle. Yes the curve should have followed through, but that is a minor pick. I wonder if the reason the finial base is getting so much attention is because of the hole that is bored through it. It gives us something to view through a window. It is almost as if we are commanded to look through the window, and the interior hole is probably something we don't want to see. In other words, it shouldn't be a focal point, but becomes one anyway, and forces us to conentrate on the base. The curved outside of the base creates a magnifing effect, and just makes it more obvioius. One of the compositional guidelines for artists is that the eye is always drawn to the area of greatest contrast. Depending on how the piece is lit, that hole could have a very dark area and very bright highlights: high contrast. Pinpoint lighting will make the problem worse, and pinpoint lights are what is usually used in museums and galleries. Your tent light for photographing it is just the opposite, and is helping to minimize the problem. If the minimized contrast is that strong in the picture, imagine how strong it will be in actual display.

Having said all that, I still think it is a great piece. I would proudly display it in my display case. I would never have thought to use shoe polish on light wood. Also, I'm just curious where do you get your acrylic?

Mark Hubl
02-05-2010, 2:49 PM
Steve,

Another signature piece. I really like the way the colors work together on this one. It really does feel icey. I must agree with what has been said about the transition to the finial, just a bit angular.

Love the icicle idea. Have you considered a more complete icicle look, maybe loosing the sphere. When I viewed the upside down picture I thought the sphere portion detracted a bit from the more organic feel of the icicle portion. Just my two cents.

Nice piece, good luck.

David E Keller
02-05-2010, 2:53 PM
I like this piece a lot for what it is... A very artistic piece. I wouldn't change a thing about it. You obviously have a very creative mind and certainly have the skills to bring your visions to life.

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2010, 3:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! It is appreciated!

Brian - I did a little checking on the base part of the finial and helped the contrast problem a little bit. The bottom of the base was left clear - not frosted and although the inside of the HF was also dyed white - very little light was able to get in through the plexiglass. I sanded the base so that it became frosted and now reflects whatever light gets into the base area. Looks better but not perfect. Ideally it would be nice to turn a base section without a hole running through it - but will have to get that some thought as to how to hold it on the lathe.

I appreciate everyone taking the time and offering their inputs. I may turn another base section just to see 'what-if' but that stuff sure is a mess to work with!

Oh, the plexiglass was the result of a trade.

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2010, 3:15 PM
Absolutely beautiful Steve. Really a nice piece.

David Walser
02-05-2010, 3:22 PM
Steve,

You have another winner. I like the form of your finial. I think the form does a very good job of evoking the feeling of an icicle. However, while we don't have too many icicles in Mesa, Arizona, I recall them being shiny -- not frosted. Going through all the micro mesh grits would leave your finial with a wet, just starting to melt, look. (At least, I think it would.)

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2010, 4:49 PM
Really appreciate all the comments!

Based one everyone's observations, I reworked the finial. The base of the finial was hollowed out to remove the high contrast area that Brian pointed out. The transition curve between the base and finial was also reworked so that they flow into each other better.

Here is the new version - feel free to let me know if it is an improvement or not.

Thanks!

David E Keller
02-05-2010, 4:53 PM
Beautiful... I think the changes improve the piece. I'm still amazed that such small details can make such a visual impact. Thanks for the update.

Mauricio Ulloa
02-05-2010, 4:54 PM
Very nice! Really creative concept!

Keith Burns
02-05-2010, 5:04 PM
Steve, you have definately outdone yourself with this piece. It is absolutely stunning ! I like the reworked version better. The "snow and Ice" name definately fits. I'll tell you one more thing, I really like this one.

Brian Brown
02-05-2010, 5:49 PM
Here is the new version - feel free to let me know if it is an improvement or not.

As Austin Powers would say..."Yeahh Baby!!!" :D

Jon Finch
02-05-2010, 6:00 PM
I liked it either way :) Very nice.

BTW, how are you guys reworking a finial? How do you get it back in the chuck?

Jon

John Keeton
02-05-2010, 6:36 PM
You have nailed it! Perfect, and ready for the show. Amazing what a few little tweaks will do. Steve, this piece turned out just wonderful.

Baxter Smith
02-05-2010, 6:46 PM
Very nice! Colors/materials and shape blend well!

BILL DONAHUE
02-05-2010, 7:11 PM
Too cool! That's my suggestion for a name and my first thought upon looking at it. Beautiful!

mike holden
02-05-2010, 7:55 PM
OOOOH!

Dont touch it anymore! it is PERFECT!

Mike

Rich Aldrich
02-05-2010, 8:03 PM
Nice job, Steve. It is amazing.

Phillip Key
02-05-2010, 8:07 PM
Wow! I liked the first finial but I really like the reworked version.

gary Zimmel
02-05-2010, 8:37 PM
Beautiful work Steve.
I'm thinking this is a winner....

Thom Sturgill
02-05-2010, 9:16 PM
That was just enough. Great job, it needed that touch but now leave it as is.

Roland Martin
02-05-2010, 9:28 PM
Just what it needed Steve, Blends in much better. Time to kick some butt!

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Steve I liked the first version but must admit the rework worked. Really a stunning piece.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Steve....that's your show piece!

Curt Fuller
02-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Very nice Steve! Good luck in the show.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Steve, You're a real artist; that piece actually looks cold. I think you've achieved your goal! Very pretty.

Brian Effinger
02-06-2010, 12:40 AM
WOW!!! That is really quite stunning! :) Really beautiful, and definitely a show piece.

As for the finial, I agree with Brian on visibility of the drilled portion of the base of the first one. I think you effectively eliminated it with your second attempt.

I opened up both versions in separate windows, and looked at them side by side, and I can honestly say, I like the form of both finial bases. Other than the visibility issue, I had no problem with the first form. In fact I liked it. That being said, I also like the form of the frosted base. So I guess I would stay with that one.

My only wish would be to see the finial without the ball in it. Maybe keep it the same height, lose the ball, and add a third "icicle step" in it's place. The sections could progress upward from large diameter to smallest diameter. This is only my 2 cents and really just nitpicking, so take it for what it's worth.

Again, that is really beautiful Steve. I'm sure you will do well in your show.

Richard Madison
02-06-2010, 1:17 AM
Well yeah, the first one sucked (as others have noticed), and the new one is a whole world of better. But you knew that.

Nathan Hawkes
02-06-2010, 1:34 AM
Maple hollow form, 6 3/4" diameter x 8 1/2" to top of finial x 1/8" thick. Finish is multiple layers of Kiwi white Scuff Coat and several coats of Minwax water based satin spray poly. Finial consists of an acrylic base and bullet proof plexiglass for the finial - thanks to Nate Hawkes!

I turned this for an upcoming local juried Art Expo and am open to all critiques, opinions and comments!

Also, I knew the finial would have problems because I wanted it to represent ice or an icicle. I have plenty of icicles around here to check and found that they are not a continuous smooth curve but consist of a series of ever decreasing steps. Plus, how do you turn an icicle that will be displayed up-side-down?

So, keeping it as simple as possible (I like simple) - this is the design I came up with. Maybe you can see the icicle when viewed from the natural angle.

Still open to suggestions as the finial has not been glued in place! Also open to suggestions for a proper 'artful' name!

Thanks for looking!

WOW!! Nice work, Steve!! I'm very impressed. I still haven't tried to turn any acrylic. I may have to try when I'm healed. Seriously nice job!!! Snow and Ice works for me!! Especially considering the Virginia weather now and in general lately!

Joe Adams
02-06-2010, 1:47 AM
Awesome creativity in the design and great skill in the execution!!!

Michael Short
02-06-2010, 1:52 AM
Very nice Steve.

Tom Giacomo
02-06-2010, 2:43 AM
A truly beautiful piece, good idea, love it.

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-06-2010, 9:16 AM
Great looking artistic piece Steve.
I hope the juried show it's for goes well for you too.

Lionel Mercier
02-06-2010, 9:20 AM
Hi Steve
Like said another place
Shivering when I'm looking.
in order to overcome the problem with the icicle/finial I have a thinkpath:
Have a display on a NZ forum, then your finial is in the rirght position...not clever ?
Second finial base beter. Just my taste.
Love this piece !
Friendly,
Lionel

Dale Bright
02-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Steve, this is a great piece. I think the the original version was great but the rework was definately worth it.

Dale

Nathan Hawkes
02-06-2010, 3:35 PM
I hadnt noticed the contrast in the finial when first looking at it, but after looking at the improved pic, the improvement is very dramatic. It would have really detracted from the piece if left! Great work! Just curious what you used as a jam chuck--even scuffed up acrylic is pretty smooth. I'd love to know how you did it!

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2010, 5:19 PM
Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate all the comments!

Nathan - the finial and base had not been glued yet, so I removed the finial portion and set it aside. Grabbed a small dowel and turned it to fit in the hole in the base. Ca glued it in place. Used the #1 jaws on my Talon to grab the dowel and hollowed out the base.

When the base got down to about 3/32" thick, I stopped the lathe and gave the base a twist. It popped right off as there was not enough surface for the glue to hold onto.

Yup - first time I ever tried using a dowel to hold something that small but will remember that trick for next time.

Pete Jordan
02-06-2010, 6:38 PM
You are amazing, Steve!

I hope second place is half as good.

Peter Lamb
02-06-2010, 7:30 PM
Let's give Steve the Blue Ribbon and a quick sale!
Peter

Dick Gerard
02-07-2010, 9:11 AM
Excellent work, Steve! Personaly, I think the finial is just fine, but, if (and that is a very big if) I were to change anything, I would eleminate the element just below the ball of the icicle. Just back a nice transitional curve from the top of the hf up to the base of the ball.

That being said, I have a couple of questions:

Where does one obtain bullet proof acrylic? I assume it must be a cast acrylic, right?

Where do you get the Kiwi Scuff Coat?

Randy Privett
02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Steve.

I can't add any comment that hasn't already been stated in this thread, but this is the best yet. NAILED IT!

Mike Stephens
02-07-2010, 4:23 PM
Gorgeous piece Steve. Congratulations.

Mike

Russ Denz
02-07-2010, 4:32 PM
"Ivory Stalagmite" comes to mind, but its effect is really beyond mere words

Joyce Baldauf
02-08-2010, 2:12 PM
Steve,

Simply ELEGANT! I am not usually a big fan of colored wood, but this is definitely an exception. I love it.:D

Bill Wyko
02-10-2010, 2:46 PM
Steve, you are one amazing turner. this is a magnificent piece. Congratulations on the feature as well.