PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Adirondack Chairs

Steve Friedman
02-04-2010, 6:20 PM
What is the best Cedar to use for Adirondack chairs?

a. Western Red Cedar
b. Eastern Red Cedar
c. Spanish Cedar
d. None of the above
e. They are all equal

I was about to start building a couple of Cedar Adirondack rocking chairs, but am confused about what type of wood to use.

Because of my limited skill and equipment, I need to buy the lumber S3S, which limits my options. I have checked several sawmills between my home in Central NJ and Lancaster, PA, but can't find anyone who sells Redwood, so I have decided to build these out of Cedar. I believe that I need Western Red Cedar, but didn't find any in my search.

I have found lots of Aromatic Cedar and White Cedar, but am pretty sure that those won't work. Most of the sawmills did have Spanish Cedar, but I have no idea whether that is the OK to use. I did find one place that had Eastern Red Cedar, but they would only sell it rough.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Ron Kellison
02-04-2010, 6:34 PM
White Cedar will work fine for chairs. It's the standard here in Ontario if only because red cedar is shipped from the Wet Coast and is more expensive than is justified. I've used a lot of red cedar when I lived out West and I don't see a whole lot of difference between them other than the fact that red cedar splinters are more painful.

I've never used Spanish Cedar but I seem to remember that it really isn't part of the Cedar family. That might suggest that it doesn't hold up as well outdoors but I'm just guessing.

Other options would be black locust, white oak (both heavy) or cypress. There have also been at least a million Ad. chairs built out of pine and then painted. If you go this route, be sure to waterproof the bottoms of the feet (before you paint) with epoxy to keep water from wicking into the wood.

Regards,

Ron

Ray Chalenski
02-05-2010, 7:45 AM
The other options Ron gave you are all good alternatives.I've made those chairs out of white cedar, white oak and mahogany. They all stand up well to the environment.I live in Nothwest NJ and used to get my lumber from Blue Ridge Lumber in Hackettstown.It was kiln dried and planed.That was before I had a planer.Now I get it rough cut and finish myself.

Cody Colston
02-05-2010, 9:59 AM
I think any of the Cedars would work. I use Eastern Red Cedar because it's so abundant around here and looks great.

BTW, Aromatic Cedar and Eastern Red Cedar are the same thing.

Bill Huber
02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I have made mine out of Cypress, they turn a very light gray after about 2 years.

ken gibbs
02-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I made two of these chairs out of Trex decking scraps seven years ago. I used galvanized bolts and Gorilla glue. These chairs sit outside 24/7 on a pier over a salt water creek and I have had no oxidation of the galvanizes bolts or problems with the Trex itself. I covered all exposed bolts with Gorilla glue. We have been through two hurricanes with no problems. You just have to remember to tie them securely to the pier before the storms get here.

russell lusthaus
02-05-2010, 5:10 PM
I'm in NY and I made mine from Atlantic White Ceder - I think that is the same as White Ceder - and the are doing just fine 9 years later.

John Shuk
02-05-2010, 8:19 PM
Hey Russell,
Welcome to the Creek. I'm over in Cold Spring. Not too far away.

Bud Millis
02-06-2010, 11:59 PM
I used Cypress for mine 15 yrs ago and there still around and in great shape. Weathering the New York enviroment just fine. However, the pine trim that came on the windows to the shop are well rotted. Cedar was my second choice.

Steve Friedman
02-07-2010, 4:05 PM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Since these will be adirondack rockers, I think I'm going to go with Cypress. Depending on what I can find in small quantities, I plan to use 1/2" thick strip to protect the bottom of the rocker pieces. The Cypress is about a dollar more per bf that Cedar, but luckily these chairs don't need too much lumber.

Steve

Harvey Melvin Richards
02-07-2010, 6:57 PM
I used a strip of UHMW on bottom of my rocker. It doesn't show, keeps the wood out of the water and it protects the bottom when the chair is drug on the concrete.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/HarveyMelvinRichards/36229_37.jpg

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/HarveyMelvinRichards/36229_38.jpg

Steve Friedman
02-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Harvey, that's a great idea, but . . .

What thickness do you use?

How do you attach it - glue? countersunk screws?

Steve

Paul Saffold
02-08-2010, 8:05 AM
Nice rocker, Harvey. Where did you get the plans?
Paul

Harvey Melvin Richards
02-08-2010, 11:02 AM
The UHMW is around 1/4" thick. I attached it with screws every 10" or so. The screws are countersunk and about 1/16" below the surface. The UHMW expands more than the redwood, so it doesn't fit tight when it's real warm, but it doesn't affect the rocking.

The plans came from Lee Valley, but I modified them quite a bit. I made the individual chairs several inches wider than the plans, and they are still snug for some people (those Canadians must be skinnier).

The chairs were made in 99, and they are still in real good shape. I cover them in the winter, but they've lived outside there whole life.