PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blades, any deals?

Kirk Simmons
02-04-2010, 4:12 PM
I recently purchased a used 14" Jet JWBS bandsaw, and since the blade that came with it is duller than a butter knife I need a new one for ripping purposes. Are there any good deals running, or does SMC have a preferred vendor / discount set up?

I don't have any particular brand loyalty right now as I have never actually bought a bandsaw blade, so suggestions are welcome.

Bonus note: My manual states the saw can use a 0.75" blade, can it really do so or is that pushing the envelope?

Aaron Wingert
02-04-2010, 4:28 PM
A lot of 14" saws have trouble tensioning a 3/4" blade. Most of the time a much narrower blade (1/4" or 3/8") will serve well for general purpose tasks.

I've had excellent luck with the Timberwolf blades. You can get them at Woodcraft, Grizzly and a number of places online.

Ken Platt
02-04-2010, 4:35 PM
If you are getting a few blades, I've found it cheaper to buy direct from Suffolk machinery, the maker of the timberwolf blades. They've been running a buy 3, get 1 free deal for awhile.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Stephen Edwards
02-04-2010, 5:38 PM
If you are getting a few blades, I've found it cheaper to buy direct from Suffolk machinery, the maker of the timberwolf blades. They've been running a buy 3, get 1 free deal for awhile.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

+1 for buying direct from Suffolk Machinery. The sales staff is very knowledgeable and courteous, too. The deal that Ken mentioned seems to be a semi-permanent deal. The two times that I've ordered from them the 4th, free blade can be up to a 1/2" blade.

IMO, the 3/4 blade is pushing the envelope on a 14" BS. It'll work on my G0555X but, honestly, the 1/2" tensions better and seems to cut just as well, or better, than the 3/4" blade.

For re-sawing I recommend their 1/2" 3TPI Positive Claw blade. I don't use my BS for general purpose ripping but I would imagine that the same blade would work well for that, too. Perhaps others with more experience than me can chime in on that.

Good Luck!

Myk Rian
02-04-2010, 5:43 PM
Go with a 1/2" blade.

Mike Cruz
02-04-2010, 7:26 PM
Another vote for Suffolk and their buy 3 get one free deal. Tell them what you want to use your BS for, and they will guide you in the right direction of which blade to get.

They recommended a 1/2" 3 tpi blade for resawing and a 1/4" 6 tpi blade for general use for me for my 14" BS. Even when I got a second BS (20 year old Grizzly 18") they recommended a 1/2" 3 tpi for resaw for me.