PDA

View Full Version : How's the Grizzly G0634x to use in planer mode?

Stephen Saar
02-04-2010, 3:55 PM
I'm interested in getting the G0634x or the G0634 instead of getting a separate planer and jointer, but I just saw a video of the unit in action and I hadn't realized how small the infeed and outfeed was for the planer function of it. So from people that have used it, or the similar Jet unit, how do you find working with it? Is it a non issue, or do you think you'd be better off with 2 units.

-Stephen

Curt Harms
02-05-2010, 9:02 AM
but I understand what you're asking. I have the Jet JJP12 and do not have any snipe issues. I do try to keep the end of the board higher than the table both on infeed and outfeed. One thing to keep in mind is that the table moves on the combo machines so if you are planing a LOT off the stock the planer bed will rise relative to any infeed or outfeed support. I haven't seen this to be an issue but I've never planed more than about 3/16" off one side. I guess if someone were planing 6'+ stock without infeed & outfeed support the shorter planer bed could be an issue. The combo machines are not 'lunchbox' planers, they are more substantial with stronger stock feed and hold-down mechanisms.

Rod Sheridan
02-05-2010, 9:11 AM
Hi Stephen, I have a Hammer A3-31 and am very pleased with it.

There's zero snipe (not measurable).

There are outfeed extension tables available for the planer, which are convenient if you're feeding short pieces so you don't have to run as fast from infeed to outfeed.

The extensions tables can also be clipped to the infeed and outfeed of the jointer adding either 16" or 32" to each table depending upon which extension you use.

I also ordered mine with the digital height readout, repeatable to a couple of thou, very handy.

I don't know if Grizzly has those options, you could check with them.......Rod

Matthew Curtis
02-05-2010, 7:09 PM
I have had the 6033 for over a year. The planer works well with the short table. No real snipe to speak of directly out of the crate. The planer also grabs the wood nice to feed it through.

Fred Voorhees
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I just tonight began using my Jet 12" J/P combo unit in both the jointer and planer modes and I was very curious as to the planer operation and how it would work. I am happy to report that I didn't notice any amount of snipe in the pieces that I was running through the machine. ALSO, it is a much quieter machine than my DeWalt 735 lunchbox. I will probably get quite a bit of work done on the Jet J/P this weekend and plan on doing up a report on it and will paste it within the next few days.

Joe Mioux
02-05-2010, 10:38 PM
i have the mm version.

have not had any problems planing. no snipe, etc.

Chris Ricker
02-05-2010, 10:40 PM
"or do you think you'd be better off with 2 units."

"-Stephen"

Stephen;
I have the GO634(spiral head) and think it's a wonderful machine. If I had the choice though, I would choose the separate machines but, due to limited shop space I chose the 634.
It is a great machine and serves it's purpose very well. Once tuned and adjusted it will do a great job and the change over takes less than a minute but if I had my dream shop I'd still choose the separate machines.
Either way you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck!!

Stephen Saar
02-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I would like to get 2 separate units, but I don't have the shop space, so I think 1 unit will be best. Plus this way I get a 12" jointer which normally I would spend the money on.

Thanks again for all the info.

@Fred Voorhees I'm really interested to read your review.

The Jet and the Grizzly look pretty similar.

-Stephen