PDA

View Full Version : Help, how can I fix this?

Eli Gunnell
02-04-2010, 3:45 PM
Can I humbly ask for any suggestions on how I may be able to fix this broken rod in the back of this chair? I know if there is an answer, it can be found in this forum. Thank you so much!
Eli

Josh Bowman
02-04-2010, 4:54 PM
There are several options. If you choose the option to make and replace the spindle, then you can remove the old pieces. Then drill the upper hole a little deeper, (it may be deep enough already). Take the new spindle and slip it in the upper deep hole and push it up allowing clearance to swing the lower part in alignment with its hole. Then slide the spindle down into the lower hole. If that works, take it out and put glue in the holes. and repeat.
Good Luck

Mike Brady
02-04-2010, 7:19 PM
Great advice, Josh.

Dan Andrews
02-05-2010, 9:23 AM
Josh be da Man! I don't know of a better solution.

Bob Glenn
02-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Elil, I use the above methods when I replace spindles on Windsor chairs, however, I think there maybe an easier way to replace your spindle.

It looks like the spindle is a straight rod, or maybe has a little swelling in the center. Drill out both broken spindles stubs after cutting them even with the chairs rails. It looks like you can drill the bottom rail all the way through. This will give you a way to slip the new spindle in from the bottom if it is a straight rod with no swelling. If there is a slight swelling, you will have to drill the bottom hole slightly over size to allow you to slip the spindle in to the bottom rail from the top, then back up in to the top rail. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

glenn bradley
02-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Josh has got it.

Mark Stutz
02-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I would use hide glue for this. You don't have to use a glue pot and granular stuff, just use the Titebond or Old Brown Glue. Makes any further work down the line much easier.

harry strasil
02-06-2010, 1:35 PM
you can also drill both of the top break ends for a smaller dowel, then drill the bottom break ends too, drilling one of the holes deep enough to insert a small compression spring in the hole so that the repair dowel will compress enough into the hole to allow you to slip the two broken ends together with some slow set glue and when in line the spring loaded dowel with slip into the other hole. You can also drill some small holes in the back side of the breaks and inject some of the Swell and Lock glue for loose furniture joints into the joint. This will insure that the dowel springs into place and not get hung up with the glue.

You will have to make a simple drilling jig to get the holes centered. Just a piece of scrap with a shallow hole the size of the spindle and then using a bit the next size larger than the repair dowel drill the hole the rest of the way thru.