PDA

View Full Version : Tempting... ?

Jim Koepke
02-04-2010, 2:41 PM
Tempting... but I am hanging on to my cash at this time.

Besides I do not need another #4 right now.

On the bay with a buy it now and shipping total of $30.35 180465460911

May be a total loss, but the wood looks good and might be a good chance to take.

If anyone goes for it, let us know how it comes out.

jim

Will Boulware
02-04-2010, 2:46 PM
Very interesting. If I hadn't just ordered a very nice # 4, I'd consider it!:D

Jim Koepke
02-04-2010, 3:18 PM
Thanks Will, ;)

Looking at this one, it looks like it will need at least a new blade.

The reason I think it is worth a leap is because the wood looks good. The knob and tote for a #4 will likely cost about $20 all by it self. If the lever cap is good, that is another $10 or so. It also has a couple of other tools included.

If the plane is solid, two or three hours of fettling and replacing the blade, anywhere from $10 to the sky, should make a good user.

So, my thoughts are that if I were to buy it, a job would be acquired that I might be able to make a few bucks for the labor. Someone else can look at it as a few hours and some hustling for parts could make them a good user.

It is tempting, but too many other things to take care of before it could be turned around. I want to try and fix up another #4, type 6, in the shop to see if it is a keeper or if I will want to hang on to a type 9 that is definitely also a worthy plane.

Dang, this is a curse. If it hasn't been grabbed later I will have to consider getting it for parts. The big problem with my buying parts planes is they always seem to be easy to turn in to a good user.

They can be a blessing or a curse.

jim

jerry nazard
02-04-2010, 4:45 PM
Jim,

Have you been going to your meetings?

-Jerry

:D

Jim Koepke
02-04-2010, 5:05 PM
jim,

have you been going to your meetings?

-jerry

:d

rotf&lol

jim

Jim Koepke
02-04-2010, 5:57 PM
Have been looking at this a little closer. I do not see the lateral adjuster, it may be over to one side. But in looking for the lever, I have noticed that it looks as if the tip of the lever cap lever is broken off.

Hmmmm, I have got it bad, but at least now I do not have that terrible itch in my buy it now trigger finger.

jim

Mike Patrick
02-04-2010, 6:35 PM
Have been looking at this a little closer. I do not see the lateral adjuster, it may be over to one side. But in looking for the lever, I have noticed that it looks as if the tip of the lever cap lever is broken off.

Hmmmm, I have got it bad, but at least now I do not have that terrible itch in my buy it now trigger finger.

jim

There is three patent dates so that makes it a type 11 and you can see the lever pushed to the left.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2010, 6:55 PM
There is three patent dates so that makes it a type 11 and you can see the lever pushed to the left.

Yes, I did see the lever later. And yes, I would agree it does look to be a type 11.

I need to go for a walk before my "buy it now" finger starts getting itchy again.

jim

Wayne Hendrix
02-04-2010, 7:08 PM
I am just trying to get some planes and move a little more to the neander side. Would this be a good purchase for me. I understand that it is going to take some work to bring it back to shape.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2010, 7:36 PM
Wayne,

I can not vouch for the suitability of this plane. It does look like the lever for the lever cap may be broken. It could have other hidden damage.

What works for you and what works for me are two different things. For me, it might be a good source of parts to add to my accumulation of parts.

For you, it might be good, it might have a badly damaged mouth, the blade does look rusty. With as much rust as there is on the blade, I would expect that it would need replacing.

If you want to buy a plane that you are sure you can use, I would avoid this one without seeing more pictures. The bottom of the lever cap is not visible, it could have a big chip. We can not see the mouth, it could also have metal missing.

My thoughts on this plane is that I would likely be able to break even if the plane body & lever cap turned out to be unusable. If it is as bad as it could be, it would be a big disappointment for someone looking for a plane to use without a lot of work.

jim

Paul Lapczynski
02-05-2010, 8:03 AM
Ouch. It looks like it went for $20....

Jim Koepke
02-05-2010, 1:21 PM
Ouch. It looks like it went for $20....

Good Morning Paul and Welcome to the Creek.

Let me give you a few hints and see if you can see who bought it...

Dang, this is a curse. If it hasn't been grabbed later I will have to consider getting it for parts. The big problem with my buying parts planes is they always seem to be easy to turn in to a good user.

They can be a blessing or a curse.

I need to go for a walk before my "buy it now" finger starts getting itchy again.

Jim,

Have you been going to your meetings?

-Jerry

:D

OK, when and where is the next meeting?

I would have posted last night, but the SMC server seemed to be off line.

jim

David Gendron
02-05-2010, 1:23 PM
So I think we will find a good user for sale soon in the classified...

Jim Koepke
02-05-2010, 2:06 PM
So I think we will find a good user for sale soon in the classified...

Not sure if I will have the time to fix it up.

It needs evaluation before anything. If it is a good fixer upper, I may just replace the parts that need replacing and offer it to someone who wants a plane to fix up.

I was surprised by the seller. He sent me a note to let me know it had shipped. I used to ask for notification in the past but so seldom was it given that I have stopped bothering to ask. When I sell stuff, I try to remember to always let the buyer know something has shipped.

I let the seller know that the thing would practically have to explode when opened to be a disappointment. I didn't want to tell him that since I was looking for a good bunch of parts that I would actually be more disappointed if it turns out to be a good user.

Right now, in my situation, there is more need for good parts than for a good plane.

jim

Jim Koepke
02-14-2010, 8:16 PM
And now for the rest of the story...

The plane had some damage that was evident and other damage that was not clear until after a bath in citric acid.

The broken tail was noticed and did not seem too bad as it does not affect the use. It looked like it could be repaired with a piece from another broken plane.

Then after soaking in citric acid, the lever cap broke while being wiped down.

Oh boy, got to find another lever cap, again.

The final nail in the coffin of this plane was spotting the two cracks on one side of the mouth.

At least the wood, blade and frog are good. Glad no one jumped on this one before I pulled the trigger. That is the problem sometimes with looking at ebay.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

jim