PDA

View Full Version : Sliding miter saw comparison - Milwaukee 12" SCMS 6955-20 vs. Makita 10" SCMS LS1016

Frank Martin
02-04-2010, 1:53 PM
I got one of the $299 Milwaukee sliding miter saws and now having some second thoughts about this. Would like to get your input, especially those who have used these saws.

I am a hobbiest and this is my first power miter saw and the first use for this will be for the trim installation as part of the upcoming kitchen refacing in our house. I can also see myself using this in the shop for crosscuts.

I got this mainly because of the ridiculously low price when HD cleared these out a few weeks ago and I happened to be there at the right time. Normally, I would never be able to time these deals. However, I am not sure if this is the saw I should be getting. I definitely do not need the 12" capacity, which makes it big and bulky also dust hookup requires and additional adaptor. Also, seems like the Milwaukee does not come with a good blade, which Makita does.

I started to think may be the new Makita SCMS LS1016 may be better for me, which is smaller, although I am not sure how much smaller especially in terms of the space needed at the back of the saw due to the slider.

Also, it appears these saws are prone to flex, which seems to be a bigger problem with larger 12" saws. Is this true?

Currently the Craigslist is flooded with these saws and I don't think the proceeds will be nearly enough to make it an equal trade to the Makita version. The best I could get seems to be $425-$450 and I would need to add over $100 to get the Makita.

How do you think the two saws compare and would you keep the Milwaukee or go for the Makita even if it means putting in an additional $100 or more into the deal?

If I decide to keep the Milwaukee, which blade would give me the best finish, given the blade that comes with the saw is not that great.

Jay Jeffery
02-04-2010, 2:30 PM
I'll bet if you posted a craigslist add for trading the two saws you could get someone to bite. HD cleared out some Makita 10" sliders 6 months ago for $200.

I just started using my new Milwaukee saw and I am extremely impressed. I've tried getting tight-fitting picture frame miters out of a cast iron radial arm saw, Hitachi 12" non-slider, my neighbor's well worn Dewalt 12" single-bevel non-slider, a new 12" Dewalt dual-bevel non-slider, and even an Omga 12" commercial chop saw on a static pahse converter, and none of them gave me miters as tight as this Milwaukee SCMS. My wife is so tired of my saw saga she didn't know what to think when I excitedly showed her the frame last night.

That said, the thing is really heavy and the sliding mechanism takes a lot of space. Unlike most sliding mechanisms, the slides lock the saw into standard chop mode in the fully extended position.

Frank Martin
02-04-2010, 3:40 PM
The Makita I am interested in is the new model LS1016, I did not think this was the model that sold for $200.

Great to hear you are very happy with the cut quality. Are you using the blade that came with the saw or a different one?

I'll bet if you posted a craigslist add for trading the two saws you could get someone to bite. HD cleared out some Makita 10" sliders 6 months ago for $200.

I just started using my new Milwaukee saw and I am extremely impressed. I've tried getting tight-fitting picture frame miters out of a cast iron radial arm saw, Hitachi 12" non-slider, my neighbor's well worn Dewalt 12" single-bevel non-slider, a new 12" Dewalt dual-bevel non-slider, and even an Omga 12" commercial chop saw on a static pahse converter, and none of them gave me miters as tight as this Milwaukee SCMS. My wife is so tired of my saw saga she didn't know what to think when I excitedly showed her the frame last night.

That said, the thing is really heavy and the sliding mechanism takes a lot of space. Unlike most sliding mechanisms, the slides lock the saw into standard chop mode in the fully extended position.

Mr. Jeff Smith
02-04-2010, 3:44 PM
Well, I had the Makita, sold it and got the Milwaukee. I have not looked back. Not sure if that helps you or not.

I have not experienced any negative flex, but I also found the blade that came with the saw to be quite good. If you find it not good enough your skill level is either beyond mine or we got different product.

Frank Martin
02-04-2010, 4:48 PM
Hi Jeff,

Did you have the new Makita LS1016 and sold it to get the Milwaukee? What problems did you have with the Makita?

Regarding the flex and blade, my questions are solely based on what I read in other people's reviews. I have not even opened the package of my saw and turned it on. Seems like flex and blade quality has not been an issue for you.

Thanks for the input...

Well, I had the Makita, sold it and got the Milwaukee. I have not looked back. Not sure if that helps you or not.

I have not experienced any negative flex, but I also found the blade that came with the saw to be quite good. If you find it not good enough your skill level is either beyond mine or we got different product.

keith micinski
02-04-2010, 6:23 PM
I have a Freud ultimate cutoff blade that I use on my new Milwaukee. I know it doesn't have as low of a cut angle as everyone says you need for a slider but it makes unbelievable crosscuts through anything. I used the Milwaukee blade for the first few cuts just to see and nothing jumped out at me that said it wasn't an adequate blade. I also think that any slider is going to have flex and that all you have to do is use a steady hand and you'll be all right. Also you can never have to much capacity, whereas conversely, that one time you don't have enough, well you know the answer.

Frank Martin
02-04-2010, 7:08 PM
Seems like people who have the Milwaukee are happy with the saw. That is great to know.

Any input from those who have used the new Makita LS1016?

One thing I like about the Milwaukee is it apparently has pretty good dust collection. I will need to buy the dust port adaptor for it though, as it comes with an odd shaped port. Anyone has this part and can point me to it?

Jeff Nolan
02-04-2010, 7:17 PM
I've been itching to replace my LS1013 with the new 1016 saw, it's a really impressive piece of engineering and builds on all of the class leading features that the 1013 brought to the table. There have been some complaints about rough slider bearings but the one I got my hands on to test seemed pretty smooth. The only SCMS that is better, IMO, is the Kapex but it certainly isn't twice as good as the Makita yet that's how much more it costs.

That Milwaukee is a fine saw and as good as the Makita is, it's tough to justify an extra $250 more for it over the Milwaukee.

Paul Ryan
02-05-2010, 9:01 AM
I've been itching to replace my LS1013 with the new 1016 saw, it's a really impressive piece of engineering and builds on all of the class leading features that the 1013 brought to the table. There have been some complaints about rough slider bearings but the one I got my hands on to test seemed pretty smooth. The only SCMS that is better, IMO, is the Kapex but it certainly isn't twice as good as the Makita yet that's how much more it costs.

That Milwaukee is a fine saw and as good as the Makita is, it's tough to justify an extra $250 more for it over the Milwaukee.

I agree with Jeff completely.

I also own a Makitia LS1013 not the new model. IMHO it is by far the best slider out their. I rarly need larger capacity than the 12" cut this saw provided. I use my sled otherwise. I could not be happier with it. A though about going after one of the milwaukees when they were so low. But I checked one out over and over at the store and couldn't see any benifit over my saw. The makita is lighter cuts perfect miters, and will last forever. Before I got my makita I had a bosch 12" slider and was never happy with it. I sold it for enough to buy the makita. Personally I like the 10" saws better because they are smaller and lighter weight.

Tony Shea
02-05-2010, 9:50 AM
If it was me I would just be happy with the Millwaukee, especially considering the price you paid for it. I don't own either of them but have used both extensivly on job sites. I do like the makita a little more but still think the Millwaukee is top notch. If the footprint is that much of an issue than maybe I would consider trading, but really isn't going to save you a significant amount of room either way. I really enjoy using the Millwaukee and think you'll be more than impressed with its' performance for what you'll be using it for. I don't think the flex will be that big of an issue, especially if you consider buying yourself a quality blade to put on it. IMO all saws should have their stock blade replaced for a better quality one. This is where manufacturers usually skimp and save a little coin. Keep the saw, set it up properly and be happy with the deal you got on it.

Mr. Jeff Smith
02-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Hi Jeff,

Did you have the new Makita LS1016 and sold it to get the Milwaukee? What problems did you have with the Makita?

Regarding the flex and blade, my questions are solely based on what I read in other people's reviews. I have not even opened the package of my saw and turned it on. Seems like flex and blade quality has not been an issue for you.

Thanks for the input...

Sorry for the confusion, I had the previous generation Makita.
Regarding the blade, I have found the included blade fine, there are of course much nicer blades out there. I use my SCMS primary for rough cutting to length lately, if I was using it for final cuts (which I rarely do) I would invest in a new blade, but that has been my experience (wanting a better blade) with all saws I own.

Michael Peet
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I agree with Jeff completely.

I also own a Makitia LS1013 not the new model. IMHO it is by far the best slider out their. I rarly need larger capacity than the 12" cut this saw provided. I use my sled otherwise. I could not be happier with it. A though about going after one of the milwaukees when they were so low. But I checked one out over and over at the store and couldn't see any benifit over my saw. The makita is lighter cuts perfect miters, and will last forever. Before I got my makita I had a bosch 12" slider and was never happy with it. I sold it for enough to buy the makita. Personally I like the 10" saws better because they are smaller and lighter weight.

Paul, are you using the stock Makita blade on yours? I'm having a problem with my LS1013 (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=130644) and don't know if it's due to the blade or slop in the mechanism. Kinda thinking of picking up a Chopmaster for it..

Mike

Jay Jeffery
02-05-2010, 6:14 PM
Great to hear you are very happy with the cut quality. Are you using the blade that came with the saw or a different one?

Sears has a 2 pack of Craftsman Professional 12" saw blades that I got on sale for about $50. They appear in every way identical to the Frued Avanti blades. Even the "Made in Italy" stamp is identical, so there is little question the blades were made by Freud.

The higher tooth count blade from this set was used to make frames with all of the aforementioned saws except the radial arm saw (which used a smaller blade). I only made a couple test cuts with the Milwaukee stock blade before mounting the better blade.

Part of me really wants to get a negative hook angle blade, possibly even full kerf, but either aspect make such a blade a specialty item unlikely to ever go on sale, much less a blade with both.

Paul Ryan
02-05-2010, 7:01 PM
Michael,

I am using a systimatic 37338 blade on mine. It is a full kerf blade that cuts very smoothly. I have been very happier with their blades. The carbide is super thick and will last forever. I clean the blades 2-3 times before sharpening. I have not problems with wiggle for slop. The only trouble I have is operater error, if the wood moves when cutting.

Peter Quinn
02-05-2010, 9:21 PM
I've been using the Makita 1013 for years and its a pretty solid saw. I just got a 1016, its sitting in the box in my shop so I can't speak to its performance, but I kicked the tires at the store and it looks great. They seem to have kept the 1013's best features and improved all its weak point (short fence, long sliding rails, miter index in awkward place, very small bevel scale). I have no experience with the Milwaukee so I can't compare at all. But I can tell you that pretty much every chop box I have used on job sites (other peoples) has been capable of doing decent trim work with a good blade, and it comes down to a matter of personal preference in terms of how they are set up. Makita, bosch, hitachi, DeWalt, I've tried each and they all work fine with slightly different features that accomplish the same tasks. Most of the problems you may encounter will be either technique (feed speed, good stock support, accurate measuring and marking) or blade related assuming the saw is in good working order. I'd be in no hurry to ditch the new saw you have in favor of something else unless there is a problem with it. I replaced my old makita because it was getting tired from use, and my BIL needs a good used hand me down, so we both win!

Frank Martin
02-06-2010, 2:15 AM
Thanks guys....
You convinced me to keep the Milwaukee. I have also read somewhere that Milwaukee actually has better dust collection than Makita. If this is indeed true, it alone justifies the heavy weight for me.

tim young
02-06-2010, 5:41 AM
Hi Frank, I have the Milwaukee too. Great saw. I was able to get in on one of the $299 deals and pulled the trigger. When I'm not using mine, I keep it stored with the blade at 45 degrees. Takes up less room this way. I really like the angle stops on mine. Tim

Frank Martin
02-06-2010, 5:39 PM
I had put the Milwaukee saw on Craiglists for $500 and it sold very quickly. At that price it will be about equal trade to Makita LS1016. Makita surely is the right size for me. Hope it has good dust collection. Anyone here got one of these saws?