PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Touch-Up Paint Alternative

Brad Bartley
02-04-2010, 1:10 PM
Has anyone had any luck touching up their Grizzly equipment with a store bought paint?

I'd like to touch up a few things and would like to match the "Grizzly Green" and "Putty" colors. I called Grizzly and for one can of each color w/ shipping was going to run me about $24. ($6 each can + $12 shipping). That's was a little more that I was planning on spending.

If you had luck getting a good color match with an off the shelf type spraypaint from your local Home Depot, Lowes, ect., I'd like to hear what brand and color worked for you.

Craig McDaniel
02-04-2010, 2:12 PM
Krylon makes a green "hammered-finish" paint that is surprisingly close to the finish color of my 1023 table saw.

I didn't use it as touch up paint, but painted some brackets that I bolted to it and, if you weren't looking for them, you wouldn't notice that they aren't stock.

mickey cassiba
02-04-2010, 3:16 PM
The folks I work for sell tools as well as wood and wood products. I get to un-crate 'em and assemble them for display. I went to my local hardware and got a color matched quart of brush on made for each brand we sell.
Oil based enamel ran me about 7.50 a quart.
Mick

Jim O'Dell
02-04-2010, 5:00 PM
Brad, what color and what machine are you trying to match? I have a GO691 that I'm going to take an easily removable part to match the base body color so I can paint the future cabinet under the extension table to match.
Grizzly sent me a little touchup of the hammered green for the trim on this saw. The label said Hammerite on it. I got to looking and Hammerite is a brand of paint. Made by MasterChem (they make Behr and Kilz paints). I looked and there is a dark green hammered paint that looks very close from the sample on the internet. I ordered a quart from the DoItBest home center website. Right at 15.00 with tax, and free shipping to one of their local stores. I should get it tomorrow, but the temps don't look like they are going to cooperate with me to do the painting I need to do. I need about 6 hours in the 60s. It is evidently pretty volatile so I want to make sure I follow the "good ventilation" suggestions. Not sure if this info helps you or not. Jim.

Mike Cruz
02-04-2010, 7:28 PM
Brad if this is for an old Grizzly (kinda an olive green), HD carries pretty much the exact color match. It is a little shinier, but the same color. I'm talking about a spray paint...