PDA

View Full Version : Wood Questions?

Chad Paulsen
02-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm having a problem getting consistency with my wood engraving. We don't have a ventilation system set-up. Could this be the reason i'm getting a resin build-up on the tip of my laser? And what is a good setting to run the air assist on? I like to not turn it on because the customer likes me to engrave the background and leave the lettering raised. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thank you

Frank Corker
02-04-2010, 12:08 PM
The resin build up could be a couple of things. The type of wood, which is the main factor, some such as cedar tend to leave a sticky residue. The other thing could be the speed at which you are engraving, very slow with high power will result in more burning, the more burning the more residue. You could use air assist which will blow the fumes away from the lens. Consistency is unlikely to be caused by the extraction fan, although no draw by it will allow a build up of smoke. Clean your lens regularly in the manufacturers recommended way as too much sticky residue on the lens face will result in a variance in your lens focus.

Dan Hintz
02-04-2010, 1:11 PM
Chad,

Are you saying you're working on wood without running any form of suction on the machine? If so, that's a sure-fire way to ruin your optics in a short period of time.

Michael Kowalczyk
02-04-2010, 2:19 PM
Grain is also a possibility. You may also want to put a clear coat on your wood prior to engraving so you can clean the residue off quick and easy.
I would not even think of running my laser without the air assist on or without a fume extraction system. Just my humble opinion :D

Thanks and ...

AL Ursich
02-04-2010, 4:16 PM
A trick taught by Laser Bits at a ARA show a few years ago was to use paste wax on the board first to seal the wood and make the stuff clean off easier....

I have a old Epilog that does not have bottom up engraving. I was going to make a second air suction port and collection pipe and draw the exhaust from the front of the machine for things like wood that leave a residue on the engraving. That way the exhaust smoke moves toward the front and past virgin wood and not depositing in the fresh engraving.

AL

Michael Kowalczyk
02-05-2010, 1:01 PM
Hey Al,
When you put the wax on first does that prevent or give poor results if you want to stain or paint after?

Also if you are leaving it ala-natural, if your wax one side, should you wax the other side also so the wood is equalized?

just wondering :confused:

Thanks and ...

Scott Balboa
02-05-2010, 1:59 PM
I'm with Dan on this one;

GET VENTILATION!