PDA

View Full Version : Router Plate Advantages?

Anthony Watson
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I currently have my router mounted under the end of my workbench. I just drilled a 2" hole for the bits, routed a recess for the router, and screwed the router to the underside of the top. With a simple pivoting fence this has worked very well for me.

However, I need to replace the top of my workbench, and am debating whether to reinstall the router the same way in the new top, or to purchase a router plate.

At $60-90 or more, I'm curious what advantages a router plate offers other than easier bit changes? I have an adjustment knob for my PC693 router than I just lower the bit till I can reach the collet with my wrenches. It's not a huge deal, so I'm having a hard time justifying the cost and complication of a router plate.

Do router plates have any other advantages?

Any recommendations for a plate for my PC693 router?

Thanks,

Anthony

Dan Friedrichs
02-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm curious about this, too - I also just mounted my router with some screws and a hole for the bit.

I suppose you could just buy a thick piece of aluminum and drill holes to make your own router plate fairly easily and cheaply.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I think the main advantage is, as you said, changing bits. It's really easy to just pull out the plate along with the router and change the bit. You don't have to pay $60 for one. The phenolic ones are around half that. Harbor Freight has one I think for $29 or so.

Chuck Tringo
02-04-2010, 2:29 PM
There are actually advantages to NOT using a router plate....you never have to worry about leveling said plate to the table, which can be a pain and if your a little off it can throw your measurements off a bit. Im using a benchtop store bought router table now but if I ever get around to building one it will not have a plate. Since I try to use mostly hand tools however (so much quieter) I guess this is kind of a moot point on my end. :cool:

Jay Jeffery
02-04-2010, 2:37 PM
You can usually get inserts to adjust for bit sizes. I don't know if that's a significant advantage for you or not.

Dustin Cranford
02-04-2010, 3:07 PM
harbor freight has one for 20 bucks which others have said works well. I don't know personally.

Jerome Hanby
02-04-2010, 3:42 PM
Makes accessing the router for whatever reason easier, speed change, use it hand held, blow the dust out of it, swap to a different size collet...

Makes changing to a new/different router much easier

I'm not sure how your current setup is laid out, but I would think you would have the router body closer to the top edge of the table and thus have a greater maximum bit height.

Being able to use inserts to close up the bit opening (not that you couldn't do that without a plate, but you can definitely do it with a plate)

A starter pin (again, not impossible without a plate, but easy with one)