PDA

View Full Version : Finish for wine cabinet

Tim Johnson
02-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I am building a wine cabinet that will include an area that can be used to serve wines, so some wine may be spilled on the cabinet. I am familiar with spray finishing but have not used any WB finishes, but would like to move in that direction because of shop constraints and weather issues (I spray outside but have to wait for good weather). The cabinet will be stained, can I use a WB shellac like Target UltraSeal Shellac, then topcoat with EM8000. Will these products stand up to occasional alcohol spills? Any suggestions for tip sizes to start practicing with the WB products listed above?

Howard Acheson
02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Waterborne finishes are not as protective as oil based finishes. In general, alcohol beverages can damage waterborne finishes if not cleaned up quickly. I would not recommend a waterborne finish for something that may get wine spilled on it.

I would suggest you go to the Target website and ask your question on their forum.

Matt Meiser
02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
If you'd like, I can do a real world test with EM2000 and maybe EM6000 (if I have a sprayed sample sitting around) and the few drops of the Chianti I opened last night :D

Seriously, I can. I tried this with water and was surprised at the results. I left a puddle of water sitting on a sample of each for a whole day (work day, about 8 hours). Wiped it off, no damage. I expected to see some blushing, swelling or something. I suspect they are more durable than people give them credit for based on previous generation WB products.

Edit: What the heck, even if you don't care, I'm curious so I started the test at 12:00EST. This is EM2000 on cherry plywood. I didn't see any samples of 6000 in a quick glance around the shop.

Tim Johnson
02-04-2010, 1:22 PM
Guys, Thanks for the input.

On your advise I went to the Target forum, searched "wine" and found this listing from Jeff G left on 9-6-07 in which he used Hybrivar on a walnut bar top, which I think has been re-labeled or re-formulated as EM8000cv -

"I am very pleased with the ease of application, the durability and the looks of the finish. I tested a sample for durability, and after 3 days of curing (in a 90 degree shop mind you), the finish withstood water, lemon juice and red wine for 24 hours with NO blemishes"

Matt Meiser
02-04-2010, 1:37 PM
I found this on Jeff Jewitt's site:

"NOTE: Effective 4-1-2009, Target Coatings is no longer manufacturing Oxford Hybrivar. It is being replaced by EmTech EM2000 Waterborne Alkyd Varnish. EM2000 and Hybrivar are similar resins and both develop a nice solvent look, but several new intermediate/performance additives have been added to the EM2000 which improve dry time, dry film harness, and improved slip/glide/dirt release."

If anything, I'd think 8000 would be even more durable, being pre-cat.

Tim Johnson
02-04-2010, 3:21 PM
Thanks for the reply Matt,

With further digging I see that the 2000 develops a warmer yellow glow over time, is the 8000 just water clear? I have Trans Tint liquids on hand, can I add some TT directly to the finish to add some warmth?

I am also interested in the outcome of your liquid test sample.

Conrad Fiore
02-04-2010, 4:46 PM
Tim,
No the EM8000 is not water white. It will develop a slight ambering over time, but not to the extent of the EM2000. You can add the TT to the EM8000, but first disolve it in a very small amount of water before adding it to the EM8000. Let the EM800 sit for about 20 minutes after mixing in the TT and stir again before spraying.

Matt Meiser
02-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Here's the results after about 8 hours. It didn't make sense to continue since it was pretty dried up.

First pic is what it looked like sitting there, second after wiping what wasn't dry off with a paper towel and third is after cleaning with a damp rag.

Notice there is a dark splotch in the general area of the "spill". I think, but am not absolutely positive, that that is in the wood, not an effect of this. I'm pretty sure I see it in the first picture which was taken too soon for there to be any damage. Plus it extends over a bigger area than the spill. If I hold the piece at an angle to the light, I can't see any damage to the finish.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it.