PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from The Old Rebel

Sam Chambers
10-23-2004, 9:09 PM
I stopped by the Atlanta Rockler store today to meet Ken Salisbury and try my hand at pen turning for the Freedom Pens Project. I hadn't turned anything on a lathe (or even turned a lathe on, for that matter) since Jr. High, but Ken was an excellent teacher. Before I knew it, with lots of coaching from Ken, I had turned two Freedom Pens.

Ken was even nice enough to give me some stock from his personal stash - birch with red, white and blue Corian laminated on the end - to make a pen for myself. (I'll post a picture as soon as my daughter brings the digital camera home.) Ken was very generous with his time and expertise, not only with me, but with many others who showed up to learn how to turn pens.

I would have turned more, had there not been so much "competition" for the lathes. I can see how this can become rather addictive. Now I get to teach my son how to do this.

Ken, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you in person. Thanks for the instruction, the "keeper" pen (even my wife was impressed), and for all your hard work for such a worthwhile cause. And thanks to the folks at Rockler for donating the materials!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2004, 9:22 AM
Sam....Sam.....Sam... :confused: ...the Photo Cops are going to be all over you! A MAJOR GLOAT and no pics?........Sam...Sam...Sam! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Tyler Howell
10-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Sam....Sam.....Sam... :confused: ...the Photo Cops are going to be all over you! A MAJOR GLOAT and no pics?........Sam...Sam...Sam! :eek: :rolleyes: :D
Going to pin a badge on you Ken, You are officially deputized to the Picture Police!;)

Sam Chambers
10-24-2004, 5:19 PM
Hey, I get special dispensation since I included a disclaimer in my original post! :D

(I'll post a picture as soon as my daughter brings the digital camera home.)

My daughter is away for the weekend and she has my digital camera. I'll try to take a photo tonight once she gets home and I can download all her pics from the memory card (I'm sure it's full).

Sam Chambers
10-24-2004, 11:02 PM
OK Ken & Tyler, here's the photo I promised. (Thankfully the digital camera made its way home safely.) The pen is birch with red, white and blue Corian laminated to the end. Note that the blue Corian isn't solid blue. It has little white flecks in it, to look like stars on Old Glory.

Technically, this is the 3rd pen I turned, but the first I did completely solo.

http://www.mindspring.com/~samcham/Photos/FreedomPen2.jpg

Thanks again, Ken for this stock from your private stash, use of your tools (that alone should earn you a medal of some sort) and your expert instruction.