PDA

View Full Version : Cutting flexible dust collection hose?

Tom Lindsay
02-04-2010, 7:17 AM
Hi,

I am just finishing up a dust collection system for my small basement shop. I have the infamous HF 2HP (questionable) collector with 5" HVAC main lines running to several of the bigger tools (table saw, planer) and then a few "shared" 5" HVAC lines. I plan on using blast gates at each tool.

I was going to have some short pieces of 4" hose to connect the tool to the HVAC ducts so I could move them around a little if needed. Rather than buy a bunch of 10' sections, I'd like to get a 20-50' roll of the stuff and cut it down. I'm assuming this stuff cuts well with a pair of scissors and a wire cutter for the spine?

Chris Damm
02-04-2010, 8:27 AM
Yes it does.

John McClanahan
02-04-2010, 8:32 AM
I would use a utility knife with a new blade, along with the wire cutters. Also, make a cut line with a marker or tape. That will help make a neat cut and not follow the spiral too much. Maybe a leather glove on the hand holding the hose.

John

Jim O'Dell
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I had to use my linesman cutters to cut the wire in mine. My regular diagonal cutters wouldn't do anything with the wire except get mad!!:D Jim.

David Hostetler
02-04-2010, 10:43 AM
I had to use my linesman cutters to cut the wire in mine. My regular diagonal cutters wouldn't do anything with the wire except get mad!!:D Jim.

You need better diagonal cutters...

David G Baker
02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
The wire is probably hardened to keep it from bending. Jim O has the right idea by using linesman cutters, regular diagonal pliers aren't made for cutting hardened wire and can be damaged by doing so. Fencing pliers designed for cutting high tensile wire may even be better.

Elijah Fontenot
02-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I have 2 different types of flexible hoses in the shop. I used a pair of scissors stolen from the house and cut around the thin plastic until I hit the hard plastic or thin metal and then I use a pair of tin snips. It's not that bad.

Jim O'Dell
02-04-2010, 12:08 PM
You need better diagonal cutters...

Snap On and Kleins. I think it is more the power in the hand operating them. :rolleyes: I just get better leverage with my linesman plier/cutters. Jim.

Tom Lindsay
02-05-2010, 8:02 AM
Hi,

Thanks much for the feedback.

Brian Muecke
02-05-2010, 3:30 PM
Wire cutters didnt do it for me. i use a bolt cutter.

Chris Padilla
02-05-2010, 4:25 PM
Plasma torch here...don't ask about what that did to the plastic.... ;)

glenn bradley
02-05-2010, 9:51 PM
Side cutters and scissors here.