PDA

View Full Version : Mug Failure

Greg Just
02-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Things don't always work out as planned. I was hollowing out another travel mug tonight and got a little carried away. I blew out the side towards the bottom. Guess I can glue a new bottom on and make a pencil holder out of it. What a waste of good wood. :(

Steve Schlumpf
02-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Now that is what I would call THIN! Any chance there is a such a thing as a collar for a coffee mug? Seems like there should be some creative way to save it!

Greg Just
02-03-2010, 11:31 PM
I thought about gluing a piece onto the bottom, but I need about 1.5" and I didn't think that would look too good. I might try it anyway. I'll let you know.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2010, 11:35 PM
That a shame with a good looking mug. I hate when I do that.

John Keeton
02-04-2010, 8:15 AM
Bummer, Greg!! It appears you hollow them first, after shaping the outside. Could reversing that help? Never made a mug, so don't know.

Greg Just
02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Bummer, Greg!! It appears you hollow them first, after shaping the outside. Could reversing that help? Never made a mug, so don't know.

John:

I initally shape the outside to make it round, then do the inside and then come back and finish the outside. On this one I was having trouble hollowing deep enough for the SS sleeve and lost track of thinning the sides out too much. I'm going to try to save this by turning a new bottom and glue it to this piece. Not sure how it will look.

Greg

John Keeton
02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
If you can get this one chucked back up true, could you turn off a portion of the bottom, turn a short glue tenon on the bottom, then turn a solid piece of walnut or maple to slip over the glue tenon - kind of a solid color bottom, with a staved top? Not sure I made this clear, but hope you get the idea.

alex carey
02-04-2010, 3:41 PM
ive done a couple mugs but none of them segmented so I don't know how much work goes into that, but I know if I hollowed too far into one of my mugs I'd just start new, doesn't seem worth the time fiddling with this one.