PDA

View Full Version : calling all pen turners

Don Meyer
02-03-2010, 7:46 PM
An acquaintance of mine dropped by my house today and gave me a small set of moose antlers. I have been turning pens for a couple of months now and have been using Hut friction polish and have recently been experimenting with CA as my finishing technique. I am wondering what other turners are using for finishing antler.I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Donny Lawson
02-03-2010, 7:49 PM
I use Ca and BLO on my pens but I haven't tried it on antlers yet.The BLO/CA leaves a glass like finish and is very durable.
Donny

David E Keller
02-03-2010, 7:53 PM
I've use a straight CA finish... multiple coats then MM and buff.

David E Keller
02-03-2010, 8:31 PM
The CA finish is a good one for antler.

Bob Vavricka
02-03-2010, 8:38 PM
Don,
If I can get a piece of antler where I don't have to turn too deep and the outside is smooth, I just sand it and then buff it with tripoli and white diamond. It tends to buff up pretty nice. However, if I have to turn it down more and surface isn't smooth, I use CA.
Bob V.

Scott Hackler
02-03-2010, 8:50 PM
and be prepared for a terrible stink. Smells like burning hair when cutting and sanding.

Gordon Thompson
02-03-2010, 8:52 PM
on antlers, i do no finish. micromesh to 12,000, and thats it.

Gordon Thompson
02-03-2010, 8:54 PM
and be prepared for a terrible stink. Smells like burning hair when cutting and sanding.

LOL....sure does....peeeeeeyu!!

Paul Douglass
02-03-2010, 9:56 PM
I've always used CA. And after you turn a few you won't mind the smell anymore.

John Terefenko
02-03-2010, 10:02 PM
If the antler is solid I just sand and polish. They shine up real well. If punky then I use CA. If solid and has ridges I leave it alone and polish.

Steve Mawson
02-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I have used wood turners finish but believe Gordon might have the best method. Antlers will shine if they are MM then polished.

Jon Lanier
02-04-2010, 1:37 AM
CA and sometime a plexi-finish.

Tim Hughes37
02-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm with Gordon. I use the micro mesh to 12,000 and leave it alone. Also echo the comments on the smell. Your shop will need a glade air freshener when you're done. Turned some River Buffalo Horn at Christmas and I swear I can still smell it in my garage! YUCK!!! But, well worth the smell when you're done. They come out beautiful!!

Allen Neighbors
02-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm with David Keller. Ca finish will not allow dirt and oil to collect from finger prints. No finish will.

Roger Bullock
02-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I turn several pens out of white tail deer antler. Here is my process. Finish turning and sand to 600. Apply several coats of CA, number depends on how porous it is (inside can sometimes be spongy). I use medium CA with an accelerator applied with white shop towel (helpful hint...put one of those small plastic bags over the finger you will be using. :eek: )

I've never been able to achieve a smooth surface after CA so I make sure I apply an extra coat and sand with 600 to smooth it out again. Sanding CA will leave the surface milky in color but don't worry.

After sanding the CA I then a couple of coats of EEE. The EEE is a polishing compound that cuts any final marks in the surface and leaves it very smooth, also removes the milky color. I then finish up with Shellawax Cream a turners friction polish.

A couple of additional tips on antler pens. Antler like wood needs to be dried or seasoned. You may have heard that hunters have to allow their antlers set for a period of time before the can be scored because as the dry the shrink. Another hint, this may happen to all pens but just happened to one of my earlier antler pens. Let it set on the dash of my truck in direct sunlight on a warm day and got spider cracks in the finish. :(

John Grabowski
02-05-2010, 3:23 PM
I always use CA on them because its porous and it fills it in. My method is on youtube. www.youtube/grub32

Works great and its fast and easy.

John G

Fred Omer
02-05-2010, 5:48 PM
Like Gordan I Micro Mesh to 12000 then apply EEE and buff to a shine with a paper towel.

Mark Hix
02-05-2010, 10:59 PM
+1 on the CA....I sand to 400 or 800 and CA then buff w/ EEE and WD. The BLO sometimes tints the antler and I don't like that so after the first one, I left it out of the mix.

I have sold quite a lot with this finish but once in a while I get a request for one w/o a finish.