PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help

Donald Johnson
10-23-2004, 6:47 PM
I have just purchased my first lathe and desire to turn segmented bowls. Question, what kind of glue does one use on the segments which as far as I can see would be end grain. Thanks

Tyler Howell
10-23-2004, 6:54 PM
Welcome Don,

Great place to hang. I'm not a spin doctor but there are some good folks here that can help you out.

Hank Walczak
10-23-2004, 8:39 PM
For my open segment bowls and even my closed tapered segmented bowls I use plain old Titebond. Kind of slippery to use, however. Others in my club prefer to use white carpenter's glue (NOT school glue!); works as well as the yellow glues but not as much slip during the gluing process. Even though you are gluing endgrain, as you stack the layers you are gluing edge grain to edge grain and that's where the strength comes from. So much for my .02 on this sticky matter!!:D

Michael Stafford
10-24-2004, 9:53 AM
Hank has it right. Use gallons of good ole yeller glue and plenty of clamps and time and everything will stay together just fine...

Seth Bollinger
11-03-2004, 10:01 AM
I Personally like useing Pro-bond yellow glue for my bowls, it dosent seem to slip around as much too me and it holds good.