PDA

View Full Version : Touch-up a black chair? How hard is it to remove shellac?

Doug Hobkirk
02-03-2010, 6:31 PM
I have a chair (Hitchcock, I believe) with typical wear and scratches. I would like to diminish the scratches. I believe it is covered with shellac, because when I soak and rub an area with a paper towel soaked in denatured alcohol, that area appears to have some of the finish removed. The first picture of the end of the arm is after a couple minutes work, the next picture is after I attacked it several more times with DNA.

Wow! If it takes that much work to make a dent in shellac removal, why is the big rap against shellac that "alcohol dissolves it"?
Is there a better way to remove shellac than letting a rag soaked in DNA to rest on the surface for 10-15 minutes and then rubbing it off with the rag? And then doing it again and again?
Can I eliminate removing the shellac where there are minor scratches by just wiping on fresh shellac and it will "melt" into the old shellac? I use Zinser dewaxed shellac.
I touch up tiny bare spots with a black Sharpie marker and immediately wipe the area with a rag with some mild cleaner.
Any suggestions on "wiping on" some black over significant bare patches, like the top of the back rail, after I remove the shellac from the area? If it was a wood finish I would just wipe on a similar stain (Minwax or Masters Gel) or dye (TransTint) - it usually works pretty well. Could I use ebony stain?
After I've done my touching-up, should I wipe the whole chair with fresh shellac?

It is truly remarkable that the more I learn about finishing the more I realize I don't know. The depth of knowledge by the responders in this forum is also truly remarkable. Thank you.

Scott Holmes
02-03-2010, 7:29 PM
Doug,

I don't know the age of the chair but that does not look like shellac coming off the chair arm.

My dad went to Northeastern.

DNA will also remove NC Lacquer that has lost it effectiveness.

I'm guessing someone recoated that chair with something.

You are correct about shellac and DNA; it takes 12-24 hours to dissolve flakes in DNA.

The reason shellac is not MARkETED as much as poly... is it's a natural product; therefore, no manufacturer can patent it!

Howard Acheson
02-03-2010, 8:28 PM
I very much doubt that the finish is shellac. Go here for a step-by-step treatise on determining the finish:

http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com/TipSheets/WhatIsThatFinish.html

If that truly is a Hitchcock Chair it may be worth some money. I would suggest you check it out before attempting any refinishing. Most, if not all, real Hitchcock Chairs were painted, not clear coated.