PDA

View Full Version : Another Wood ID Question

Mike Cross
02-03-2010, 6:15 PM
Here are pictures of some wood I picked up today after passing a creww clearing some trees by the roadway. I picked up some from 3 different trees but don't know what they are. Was wondering if anyone could help ID these.
Thanks Mike

Brian Brown
02-03-2010, 6:21 PM
Black walnut and Poplar or birch? Doesn't matter as long as it was free!

John Keeton
02-03-2010, 7:01 PM
Looks like maybe some of it is beech, as well as some nice poison ivy on a couple of them!!!:eek:

David Christopher
02-03-2010, 7:05 PM
Mike the 3rd picture is sycamore

Allen Neighbors
02-03-2010, 7:18 PM
1st pic looks like Elm, to me. I agree with the Sycamore, also.

Donny Lawson
02-03-2010, 7:28 PM
1st one is Walnut.I have some that looks just like it. Not sure on the other two.
Donny

David E Keller
02-03-2010, 7:58 PM
I'll got with walnut, red oak, and sycamore.

Eric Kosanovich
02-03-2010, 8:09 PM
i go with David on this one

Mike Cross
02-03-2010, 9:29 PM
Thanks for the responses.
Since I am a rookie at this, not knowing what this wood was, I just got a few pieces of each. There are plenty more where that came from and probably other species as well. I just didn't want to load up on something that wasn't worth having.

So so far it seems like,

picture 1 is either Walnut or Elm,
Picture 2 is Birch or Red Oak, and
picture 3 seems to be Sycamore.

Appreciate the help. I am wanting to be able to identify wood for future explorations. May have to go back and get some more tomorrow.

Mike

Dale Miner
02-03-2010, 9:29 PM
The third one looks like it might be Magnolia, or maybe Holly.

Walnut and oak on the first two.

Later,
Dale M

Nathan Hawkes
02-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Black walnut, pin oak (red oak group), and either holly or magnolia. Bark is wrong for sycamore, IMHO

Jeff Nicol
02-04-2010, 5:40 AM
Here are pictures of some wood I picked up today after passing a creww clearing some trees by the roadway. I picked up some from 3 different trees but don't know what they are. Was wondering if anyone could help ID these.
Thanks Mike
I belive the first one is Sassafrass, the second could be Pecan, which is in the Oak family. The third one is either Magnolia or Red Maple, I am leaning towards the Magnolia as of the completley light color throughout. No Walnut, or Red oak, might be live oak for #2 but I have never seen any of it from an endgrain view. My brother-in-law lives in Louisiana, I will have him look at the pictures.

Jeff

Bob Bergstrom
02-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey, if your arms start to itch from handling the wood with the vines running up the bark, I'll bet the wood is oak and the vines are poison oak!!:rolleyes:

Craig Powers
02-04-2010, 12:09 PM
1. Walnut
2. Red Oak of some sort
3. Magnolia, possibly Holly

Mike Cross
02-05-2010, 9:05 AM
Thanks again for the assistance. I think I will go get some more of this wood and hope there will be different species also. I would like to get a variety of wood to experiment with.

Mike

bobby lynn
02-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Third picture is hackberry.

Mike Minto
02-05-2010, 11:31 AM
My experience at wood ID'ing is limited, but the third photo looks a lot like the holly I have.

Ernie Nyvall
02-05-2010, 8:30 PM
1. Walnut... go get more
2. In the red oak family... go get more if you are a glutton for punishment
3. Definitely hackberry... a good one to experiment with dyes or texturing, and it spalts beautifully

Jeff Nicol
02-06-2010, 8:01 AM
The 3rd picture is definitley not hackberry, the bark is smooth and hackberry bark is rougher than rough. I will go out and take a picture of a hackberry tree in my back yard and post it in a minute. I have been sawing trees into lumber for 30 years I have not seen them all but hackberry and black walnut I know. I see to much greenish tones in the first one to be Black walnut. What does it look like now that it is dry? If it did not get darker and got lighter not black walnut.

Jeff

Micah Dean
02-06-2010, 11:16 AM
The bark & plain white wood of the third one looks a lot like American beech to me...

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/art/american_beech_collage.jpg

Mike Cross
02-06-2010, 11:29 AM
The center of the wood in the first pic, looks like it is getting lighter. Really appreciate the help with this. I am trying to decide if it is worth going to get more and if so, which one or all?

Mike

bobby lynn
02-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Hackberry makes up probably 50 percent of the trees in the woods around here and probably 50 percent of those are smooth barked. Maybe one or two little knots every 3 square foot.
Maybe northern hackberry is different from southern hackberry.(sugarberry)
This wood came from Lousiana!

Jake Helmboldt
02-06-2010, 11:27 PM
I have to say these threads (for wood ID) are always amusing. ID'ing wood via nothing but a cut log is often a total shot in the dark. I have a huge hackberry in my yard and #3 is a dead ringer for it, though some American beech look very similar. There are a couple hackberry varieties, but they don't always have the warty bark. Mine is pretty smooth with some bumps and longitudinal fisures and ridges.

It is definitely not sycamore.

#2 could also be a hickory with the dark heartwood and creamy sapwood.

Richard Madison
02-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Mike,
It is wood and it is free. Go get MORE while it is available. You can worry about what kind it is later.

Jeff Nicol
02-07-2010, 7:41 AM
These tree I.D. posts are getting tiring to me. If you want the best answer, seek out a local forestry expert and ask them. You will get the best answer and the fastest answer. I think forums are used by some so they don't have to do the research themselves. The whole point of doing the research is the experience and the learning along the way.

No more I.D's from me,

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
02-07-2010, 8:15 AM
Hackberry makes up probably 50 percent of the trees in the woods around here and probably 50 percent of those are smooth barked. Maybe one or two little knots every 3 square foot.
Maybe northern hackberry is different from southern hackberry.(sugarberry)
This wood came from Lousiana!
And for your information the tree you call a Hackberry is called the "SUGARBERRY" ( CELTIS LAEVIGATA ) they are different trees. The true hackberry ( CELTIS OCCIDENTALIS ) is related to the Elm and does not grow in Louisiana.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/cela40025.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/cela.html&usg=__jDEemu7Lc9JNRe8lE0uwTxhuwdM=&h=338&w=450&sz=76&hl=en&start=4&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=nRWr--jh9KcrqM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsugarberry%2Btree%2Bbark%26hl%3Den%26 rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Here is the sugarberry tree, looks pretty rough barked to me, just a clarification. Look at the link.

bobby lynn
02-07-2010, 9:12 PM
Hackberry and Sugarberry both grow in Arkansas and about the only difference ia a slight variation in the leaves.
Both species can have smooth bark and do here.