PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 209HH Planer Rant

Jasun Brown
02-03-2010, 4:21 PM
I have an issue with the PM 209HH you all should know about.
I volunteer as a class aid to an adult woodworking class one night a week. The class is at a local high school. This particular high school was using the Ryobi planers in class. They came on some grant money and were able to purchase a PM 209HH 5 HP with the Byrd head. The planer was purchased before Christmas 2009 and was in place on the last class before the Christmas Break.
Here is the problem. The PM had been damaged before shipping. The housing that covers the V-belts was crushed and the power switch did not work. As of last Wednesday the power switch was still out and the planer has been sitting for almost 2 months and still has the plastic wrap on it. Apparently a PM Tech came to fix the problem but brought the wrong part.
I though this was an anomaly being PM is the gold standard.
My friend purchased the same planer a PM 209HH for is budding wood shop. I helped him horse it in his shop last Friday night. He was putting it together and having issues with installing the cast out feed tables. Come to find out the holes were not tapped on the machine, no screw threads.
What the heck is going on?? We consumers are spending huge money on these tools and they have issues right out of the gate.
Have others had issues with new PM recently??

Rod Sheridan
02-03-2010, 6:54 PM
Hi Jasun, a quick search of this forum may turn up other posts regarding the planer, the one I looked at complained about the switch also.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Eller
02-03-2010, 7:17 PM
I have the same planer with no issues. Love it.

I had a 15HH prior to it and I had issues with it meeting specifications. PM bent over backwards and put more money in the thing than it was worth to try to fix it. I think their field tech got rich on the thing he spend so much time at my house. They finally sent a carrier to pick it up and refunded my money.

Couldn't complain about the customer service. That was a little over a year ago. Maybe it's changed:confused:

Glen Butler
02-03-2010, 7:27 PM
Sorry you are having issues. I Have a few newer PM tools and a 20" jet planer. . . still WMH. I have contacted CS for Jet and PM a few times with very little hold time and they seemed more than willing to help out, but were able to solve my problems over the phone, no parts needed.

Simon Dupay
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Powermatic is not the "gold standard" anymore it's just a name now that WMH uses to sell machines because of the standard the older US made powermatic where made by.

Van Huskey
02-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Powermatic is not the "gold standard" anymore it's just a name now that WMH uses to sell machines because of the standard the older US made powermatic where made by.

No not the "gold standard" anymore but they still sit right at the top of the pedestrian brands, the crap has moved upmarket and the best non-industrial tools have moved down market.

Paul Johnstone
02-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I also have the 20" Jet version, which is very similiar.
I've been thrilled with it.
Sorry yours got damaged in transit and it's taking so long to fix it.

michael case
02-05-2010, 8:41 PM
I've got to agree with Simon, Powermatic is not a premium brand anymore. They are increasingly made in China. I've had horrible experiences getting through to tech support (1/2 hour waits and longer) The PM 66 I owned was crap. And the 14" bad saw I own is OK at best. Two months! Are they kidding.

Bill Orbine
02-05-2010, 9:30 PM
I have the same 209HH planer, which I had shipped together with the PM 2700 shaper and stock feeder last spring. Delivered within a week once order was placed. No issues at all except for minor crack on the gear cover of the planer. I didn't follow up on the crack issue with Powermatic. maybe I will or maybe I won't. Other than that, these machines have been great and already paid for themselves (being cheap Chinese products, of course). Sorry your having issues. I'm very happy with my stuff.