PDA

View Full Version : Non-traditional hand tool workbench

Robby Tacheny
02-03-2010, 4:08 PM
I need a way to do many Neander tasks, but want don't want use a traditional vise because they are fixed onto the bench and expensive. Also, I want this bench to be somewhat easily broken down.

I looked for some portable bench designs and came across this:

http://www.blumtool.com/pages/benchhorse.html

I really like the versatility of this design, but don't want to use a torsion box design or folding legs as I want a little more weight and durability. I have come up with the design below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=140661&stc=1&d=1265230309

The apron around the bench will be 2x6's. There top of the apron will be rabbeted and a 1.5" thick top will be set into the the space. Supports will be 2x4's and are indicated in blue. Intersecting supports will be half lapped. The supports will also have holes that will exactly correspond to the ones in the apron for pipe clamps to slide through.

So essentially I'll make a "pipe clamp twin vise" for the front and a "pipe clamp twin vise" for the right end. The left end will get a very short pipe length "pipe clamp adjustable planing stop". The top will receive 3/4" dog holes.

The base will be 4x4 legs (2 - 2x4's) at each end and will be flush with the apron. There will be 4 butt jointed and bolted 2x4 stretchers to help with racking. The entire base will be assembled with bolts so that it can be taken apart.

Does this sound workable and somewhat versatile, or does it sound over-engineered? I have a tendency to do that and wanted some opinions before I move in the wrong direction.

Also keep in mind that I have sturdy a 6' x 3' table for assembly and general tasks. This will mostly be for hand work and joinery.

Thanks,

-R

John Sanford
02-04-2010, 1:54 AM
Make the aprons much thicker. A 1.5" thick (front to back) apron gets annoying when you need to "deep clamp" something.

Also, a "pipe clamp" vise may not have the sort of reach into a piece that you may need, so consider how you're going to do such a thing. I've been amazed at how many wierd clamping situations I've found myself in, so...

Jim Koepke
02-04-2010, 2:15 AM
Not sure if your design goal is portability or being able to get it out of the way when not in use.

Harry Strasil has posted many pictures of his "traveling" workbench that might be something to look at for ideas.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=386068#poststop

It might be possible to make something similar in a knock down version if that is needed.

Also, look in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs. Right at the top is a bunch of links to workbenches.

jim

Robby Tacheny
02-04-2010, 4:58 PM
John - The pipes won't be fixed, they'll be able to slide out to accommodate thicker pieces of wood using the slide on the non-clamping end to lock them to length. I am a little limited by the travel of the pipe clamp which is only about 3" I believe, but being able to vary the amount of pipe sticking out helps. I had considered a thicker apron. Maybe I'll add another 3"4 board to it.

Jim - I have seen knockdown Holtzapffel bench from Chris Schwarz's Blog, but I don't want to invest $200 just in the vices.

I'll admit that another reason to use pipe clamp vises is that I don't have the budget right now for "real" vises. I am trying to keep this bench around $150 total cost. I have seen a few bench designs with pipe clamp tail vises and they have always intrigued me. Also, I really think that Blum tool design is pretty versatile.

-R

Robby Tacheny
02-06-2010, 1:06 PM
Great news! Peachtree is having a buy one get one vise sale and I just picked up 2 quick release vises for $95 shipped. That leaves me 55 for wood. I can go a little over budget though.

Now it looks like I'll go for the $175 Workbench design from Popular Woodworking.

-R