PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for lumber, any ideas?

Joel Jepsen
02-03-2010, 3:32 PM
I stumbled upon a fair amount of 4/4 red oak, white oak, and ash sitting in an outbuilding and according to the widow, was cut, solar kiln dried, and stack at least 3 if not 5 years ago. The wood itself looks fairly good given the environment its in. FWIW, the lumber was flat sawn with a portable bandmill and most of it isn't edged. She would like to see it go, but is also trusting me to give her a fair price, which I intend to. SO after much searching, I can't find any other situations and prices. Anyone got any ideas what I should be paying?
Thanks

Paul Ryan
02-03-2010, 4:08 PM
About 1.80 bd/ft #1 common is about what cabinet shops have been paying. Regular joes like myself and you will usually pay more my local mill charges me $2.69 for common, and $3.49 for select. However I am on to a source where I can get #1 common cherry, walnut, hard maple, red & white oak, and ash for $1.50 bd/ft.

I have seen advertising from the Dells area for #1 common red oak $1.25 a bd/ft for 1000 bd/ft orders delivered. Slightly higher for smaller orders. So it is really up to you. It depends how straight it is and how clear.

I have contimplated buying oak from the guy in the Dells, but it doesn't pay for me since I would have to pick it up. And now I have found the other guy. The $1.50 bd/ft for cherry has really got me excited.

Dave Gaul
02-03-2010, 4:09 PM
I would check with local suppliers first, find out what the charge per bf for those types of lumber.

Then I would offer her a little less per bf than a lumber yard charges.

4/4 oak here is 2.55 per bf rough, so I would offer maybe 1.50 per bf? You are in a way providing her a service by removing unwanted items from her property...

Paul Johnstone
02-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I think $1 board foot is more than fair in a situation like this
You are buying ungraded wood. You will probably get your share of splits at the end, boards too warped to use, etc.

You could probably offer even less. I got someone's pile of kiln dried maple (around 300 bdft) at 50 cent/board foot, because it was an old husband project and they both wanted it gone. (That was their asking price)

Remember, this is just junk wood to her. She wants to get rid of it. You are doing her a favor. If she puts it on CL, it's a hassle for her and there may not be even that many interested buyers.