PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a decent price on alder near Sacramento, CA

Nathan Dekens
02-03-2010, 3:05 PM
Well this is my first real post on hear and im new to the whole woodworking thing. Since im planning on trying my hand at building a hallway table, I would rather not go the route of using expensive cherry but instead use a look-a-like such alder. So hear is my question, the only place thats near me that I know of is Macbeath in Berkley....dont really want to drive there just to get a look at what im buying. So do any of the Sacramento locals know of a good source for Alder that will let me see the product?

Richard Bell CA
02-03-2010, 3:23 PM
Nathan:

Try Hughes Hardwoods in Rancho Cordova. They have a good selection, good prices and you can pick through the piles to your heart's content. They are easy to deal with.

http://www.hugheshardwoods.com/

Good luck

Richard

Nathan Dekens
02-03-2010, 4:30 PM
Thanks!...but there site dosnt list alder. Anyways I will give them a call.

Richard Bell CA
02-03-2010, 4:50 PM
Nathan:

I have purchased alder from them in the past - they carry other woods in addition to what they show on their sample page. If you go down there, you might also check out Aura Hardwoods. They are in the same business park, about a mile from Hughes. Of the two, I prefer Hughes. However, you might wander around both stores to get a feel for what they carry.

Richard

David DeCristoforo
02-03-2010, 7:08 PM
In addition to Hughes, there is also J.E. Higgins Lumber Co. and Aura Hardwoods. Both carry alder.

Ken Whitney
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
If you want to drive up the hill you can try Auburn Hardwoods. In Auburn, of course.

Ken