PDA

View Full Version : How can i make 1/8" plywood thinner?

Brian Hale
10-23-2004, 6:41 PM
I screwed up. :mad:

I need to make 1/8" plywood strips (6" x 55") about .03 thinner. There's 6 of them.
Any thoughts??

Brian :(

Jim Becker
10-23-2004, 7:08 PM
The easiest way would be a drum sander. If you don't have one, perhaps another woodworker in your area does and would be willing to help.

Keith Christopher
10-23-2004, 7:21 PM
ok I have to know. Why do you need 1/8" ply thinner ?

Gary Max
10-23-2004, 7:31 PM
Really ---I would save the plywood and resaw soild wood to the correct size.

Brian Hale
10-23-2004, 8:40 PM
Hmmmmm Drum Sander.... Good idea Jim! :cool:

To make a long story not quite so long... I'm building some media storage cabinets for a client. These are 7 drawer units and the drawers are 33 wide and 24 deep and 5 1/4 tall. The client chose the slides; 150lb slides from Lee Valley. I measured the width of the slides and built the cabinet with 1/8" tolerance, plenty accurate for the Accuride slides i'm used to. These slides have a side clearance tolerance of +1/64 -0.0. DOH!
The 1/8" plywood will make up the differance on the inside of the cabinet. This isn't my fist screw-up on this project and the profit is slipping away :o

Gary, i don't have a bandsaw but you gave me an idea.... Perhaps a couple layers of veener??

Brian :(

Gary Max
10-23-2004, 8:51 PM
That would work---I just had this pic of the ply coming apart on you.

Jamie Buxton
10-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Brian --

I'm not sure I understand, but do you really need this "1/8" thickness to cover the entire 6"x55" area? I think you only need this thickness where the screws are -- the ones which hold the slide to the carcass. You could cut shims which are 1"x6" by this "1/8" thickness, and place them only where you're going to screw through them. You don't need a bandsaw to do this -- only a tablesaw. You can rip long strips and chop them into the 6"-long shims. If you can stand the carcass on its side, you can just place the shims where you need them, and they'll stay in place by gravity while you screw the slides in. If you can't put the carcass on its side, use masking tape to tack the shims in place. Then screw through the slides and the shims, and remove the tape.

Jamie

Bob Smalser
10-24-2004, 1:27 AM
Just position steel washer(s) of a thickness needed to make the fit between the slide and the rail at each screw.

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-24-2004, 2:37 AM
Just to make you feel better, I assembled 36 drawers for my cabinet job yesterday...and then realized that every one of 'em is gonna be something close to 1/8" 'sloppy' because when I mismeasured. As suggested above, I'm planning on the washer route. :-(

KC

Tom LaRussa
10-24-2004, 7:24 AM
How can i make 1/8" plywood thinner?
Just don't feed it for a few days... :eek: :p ;)

Mike Cutler
10-24-2004, 9:03 AM
I agree with Jim. The drum sander is the easiest way to go if the washer option is unworkable for you. Take .015 off each side. Good luck

Brian Hale
10-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Belt sander to the rescue!

Jim's drum sander idea got me started..

I clamped the pieces to my bench and sanded it till i removed the first layer of veneer (the grain direction change made this easy), then put pencil lines on the surface, sanded them away and repeated. I was surprised at how consistant the thickness is, +/- .007"

Ok, so what can i screw up next......

Thanks Guys!!
Brian

Jim Fancher
10-24-2004, 12:16 PM
If someone says they have never miscalculated a project, they are lying. :D

Scott Parks
10-24-2004, 12:27 PM
If someone says they have never miscalculated a project, they are lying. :D
Welcome to my world... lol:o