PDA

View Full Version : Safety Survey

Tom Hintz
02-03-2010, 2:37 PM
Years ago I did the first Safety Survey and it drew lots of attention in the woodworking community. Now, armed with much better software I have put together Safety Survey 2, at the link below.

This is a live survey that updates in real time so you can see the numbers grow and trends change as the number of respondents grows. There is NO PERSONAL INFORMAITON COLLECTED in hopes of letting everyone be totally honest in their answers. It’s free, anonymous and you just might help another woodworker!

newwoodworker.com/safesurv2.html"]Click Here to take the Safety Survey 2

Mike Circo
02-03-2010, 2:53 PM
Tom,
Some advice...
The pull down menu's should default to "none" . Otherwise those of us with no injuries will not accidently skew results by submitting false answers.

Also, if you have no injury, you may want to let folks know that all the other questions are not relivent to them.

Just being nit-picky from an old statistician.

m

Lee Schierer
02-03-2010, 3:29 PM
There should also be a question or two about multiple injuries on the same or different pieces of equipment. I know I've had one cut on my hand from my TS and was whacked once on my Drill press. Only one required a doctor visit.

Bryan Morgan
02-03-2010, 3:30 PM
Question 24 only applies if you answer no to question 15.....

Tom Hintz
02-04-2010, 2:23 AM
The no injury category was something a lot of folks wanted added but the problem there is getting software that actually works with all of the browsers people use. This software worked best and the people that make it are looking at ways to have it default out when someone gets to the No Injury response. Right now, it wont do that and still work with all of the browsers.

The survey focuses on one accident because most people relate the worst they have. Everyone is likely to have minor nicks and dings along the way and while they still are accidents, I wanted to focus more on the ones that caused the most harm.

I'd love to be able to do anything that please anyone but expect that just isn't in the cards. All of this gets considered when a new survey is made though.

Glen Butler
02-04-2010, 3:20 AM
The seriousness of injuries should be more in depth. I have recieved scrapes, minor cuts and bruises, slivers and such from material handling.
Answering "yes" to recieving some form of injury seems wrong, if all you needed was a bandaid so you didn't get blood on your stuff. The questions seemed to be more geared toward tool accidents. All of my "more serious" injuries come from material handling, the worst of which was a black eye from a falling 2x4. But no questions were related to that sort of injury. If your friends or family would get bored listening to your injury story, it shouldn't be listed on your survery.

Tony Bilello
02-04-2010, 6:24 AM
There were many interesting questions, but the survey in general was not very well thought out if someone wanted to draw valid conclusions from it.
For one thing, item 11 has no place for zero dollars. That automatically skews the data to show every accident has a monety cost and erroneously inflates the average cost per injury. Other points brought out by Glen are extremely minor injuries and injuries that are not directly machine injuries but are common injuries in the shop such as material handling.
It is also hard to imagine any woodworker not having had any injuries. Splinters and bruises are injuries. Maybe the questions need to be re-examined and re-stated.
Also the results overall are meaningless to the average woodworker if you dont separate the professional woodworkers from hobbyists.
Just a few thoughts.