PDA

View Full Version : New/Longer Rails for Delta Contractor TS

Larry Schwenk
02-03-2010, 2:25 PM
I have the Delta 36-980 contractor saw with the 30" T2 Fence. I've had it for over two years and it works perfectly and I'm very satisfied. Except...

Ripping is limited to just under 32" max. I keep running into needs of 33" and 34" off the end of a full sheet of plywood. Circular saw time is getting old.

The only option I've found to extend the rails is to go with the Delta BC50 option which will give me a 50" rip. Only it's more then I need, takes up very limited space on that side of the saw, it has the Biesemeyer fence but I'm perfectly happy with my T2 (and very used to it), plus it's like $420.

I looked at the parts and just buying the pieces of the BC50 (rails, guide tube, and tape) and it's $402! And then I'd probably hack saw a foot off the ends.

Anyone know of another, cheaper rail option from another maker?

Jim O'Dell
02-03-2010, 4:55 PM
Some people have reported buying the rectangular steel stock that is the correct size, and replacing the original. You could even get a longer piece of angle iron if you felt you needed the extra support. Just drill and tap holes to match.

What I have done with my Ridgid contractor saw, is to move the rails to the right. I did the same thing with the Biese fence I put on it. I'm thinking about doing the same thing with the fence on my new Griz cabinet saw. I've never cut anything with the fence to the left of the blade. Never had an instance where I thought it would be the best way to make a particular cut. If you move the angle iron one hole to the right, you should gain 7" or so. Sounds like that would be plenty for what you need. You might need to drill a new mounting hole or 2, but probably not. You might have to cut out for the miter slot, but that's not a problem to do. I used an angle grinder to do mine after cutting the outside edges with a reciprocating saw. The best thing is it only costs some time to do it.
I have found some Biese rail sets online for about 200.00 for the 62" right. If moving the existing one is not an option for you, let me know and I'll find a link in my computer at home. They probably have a 42" version that would save you some money. Jim.

Homer Faucett
02-03-2010, 5:01 PM
Another option, if you don't ever use the fence on the left side of the blade, is to shift the rails to the right. It will take drilling a few new holes, but is definitely the cheapest option if that gives you enough capacity. It's been a while since I had the T2 (I sold the Delta contractor saw, which was a great saw, and upgraded to a cabinet saw), but I'll bet you can get an additional 6" shifing the rails that way.

Peter Aeschliman
02-03-2010, 6:21 PM
The shopfox classic fence is what I have. I love it. It's a biesemeyer copy. From what I can tell, the quality is comparable but the price is much lower ($265). The only complaint I have is the magnifying cursor over the measuring tape- it's difficult to read. So you can just buy a replacement one from a bies fence for a few bucks and it fits perfectly.

This one gives you 54" rip capacity to the right. Like you said, if it's too long, you can simply cut off the ends.

It bolted right up to my Jet contractor's saw. Not sure about the Delta.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Classic-Fence-w-7-Rails-Legs/G9220

Jim O'Dell
02-03-2010, 10:02 PM
What size tube does the T2 fence system use? If it's 2 X 3, then the Biese rails will work, if not, they won't. Here is the link to one of the places with the Biese rail sets. http://www.mikestools.com/Power-Tool-Manufacturer-Biesemeyer-Manufacturing.aspx Hope this helps. Note: I have not purchased from this vendor, so do your own research. Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
If memory serves me correctly, the T-2 uses 2 X 2 square tubing for front rail. This is a stock size. Just buy a longer piece from a steel fab shop. You only need 14 ga. Remember that new tube will need parallel to the angle iron support. I usually just plane a piece of hardwood to size that snuggly fits between old tube, and angle iron. Cut it into a three pieces, and use as spacers for new tube. Take old tube of angle and clamp new tube in place (using spacers.) Using transfer punch ( available at HF for about $8.00) mark just two end holes. Take tube off angle and drill these two holes for screws. Attach new tube at these two locations using screws. Then use transfer punch to mark remaining holes. Take tube off and drill for screws. That is how I do it when building my Bies clones

Larry Schwenk
02-04-2010, 9:08 AM
The shopfox classic fence is what I have. I love it. It's a biesemeyer copy. From what I can tell, the quality is comparable but the price is much lower ($265). The only complaint I have is the magnifying cursor over the measuring tape- it's difficult to read. So you can just buy a replacement one from a bies fence for a few bucks and it fits perfectly.

This one gives you 54" rip capacity to the right. Like you said, if it's too long, you can simply cut off the ends.

It bolted right up to my Jet contractor's saw. Not sure about the Delta.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Classic-Fence-w-7-Rails-Legs/G9220

I looked at the G9220 and noticed the G9221 which is just the rails and guide tube but no fence for only $159. That's more of the price I was thinking about. The color picture looks ok, but in the parts diagram the guide tube doesn't appear square 2x2; which is what I need. Now just need to confirm that 1, it will fit my Delta saw and 2, my T2 fence will work with it. If Grizzly can confirm then I'll just cut 14" off the ends. Yes, I know....but I need that extra room to walk next to the saw as this is only a basement wood shop.

You should have seen my setup last night, I needed to cut a 23/32" dado with 31 1/4" to the right of the blade. I rigged up the fence to hold as it was about ready to fall off the table; zero room to spare.

scott spencer
02-04-2010, 1:06 PM
Another option, if you don't ever use the fence on the left side of the blade, is to shift the rails to the right. It will take drilling a few new holes, but is definitely the cheapest option if that gives you enough capacity. It's been a while since I had the T2 (I sold the Delta contractor saw, which was a great saw, and upgraded to a cabinet saw), but I'll bet you can get an additional 6" shifing the rails that way.

I've shifted the front rail over to the right by 10" each on my last two saws. One was a Biese fence, the other a SF Classic fence both with similar design. It's as simple as unbolting the front rail and sliding it right and repositioning it on the angle bracket (which doesn't get moved)...I moved mine by the distance of one bolt hole (~10") so I didn't even need to drill anything. The rail is now held in place with one less bolt, but is still very sturdy. You'll also need to relocate or replace the measuring tape, and you may want to fill in the gap between the front and back rails with an extension table if your T2 fence rides on the table. Cost is very low...~ 0$, maybe $8 if you replace the tape. You shouldn't need left side capacity with a left tilt saw.

The Shop Fox Classic rails are 2"x3" like the Biese, HTC, Jet Exacta, and others.

Larry Schwenk
02-05-2010, 6:42 AM
I initially sent an inquiry off to Delta support (Dewalt) and received my response back last night.

We do offer a 50" capacity rail set for your T2, part #36-728. This rail set is available for a cost of $127.29 plus shipping and tax.

Way to go Dewalt support! A quick search on that part number and I've found it for $99. Deal done! :D

bruce buren
02-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Larry what email address did you send your question to?? I also have a delta contractor saw but with bies fence and would like to get the longer rails

Thanks

Bruce

James Waters
02-05-2010, 2:09 PM
Sawcenter.com has the 50" t2 system on their site for $279. Look under unisaw parts.

http://www.sawcenter.com/unisawparts.htm

James Waters
02-05-2010, 2:35 PM
I think what I posted was for the whole kit but I'm sure you could buy just the rails of needed. Might be worth an email

Larry Schwenk
02-08-2010, 4:39 PM
Larry what email address did you send your question to?? I also have a delta contractor saw but with bies fence and would like to get the longer rails

Thanks

Bruce

I was logged into the Delta / Dewalt... Service Net site and submitted my question from there. The email I got back came from support.dewalt@dewalt.com Took about 36 hours for the response which is not too bad, especially since I liked the response.

Thomas Canfield
02-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Check out Beisemeyer on Amazon.com. Just a few days ago the 50" was at at a good price.