PDA

View Full Version : New product idea

Steven Wallace
02-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I saw this at a bike show but didn't get any worthwhile pictures of it. The guys had their windscreen or fairing , whichever you want to call it, etched on the driver's side. then had a electroluminenses (EL) (sorry for the spelling) strip in the groove that the plexi of polycarb slipped into. it is powered by 12vdc and really looks nice when they parked and turned on the power to it. Typical bike ornamentation on them, along with some tropical scenes. They were telling me that they had paid $$$ to get them done. If you're looking into a new product you might think of this. They are a little big for my mini. There is a website out there if you do a search for engraved windshields. The guy's prices are from ~$400 to call me and I will tell you.

Doug Griffith
02-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Interesting. I would think that fairings would be made from Polycarbonate. Acrylic shatters too easily unless it's rubber modified. How well was the etching?

Steven Wallace
02-03-2010, 11:13 PM
I believe it is Polycarbonate. The engraving looked great. I have seen it with both L.E.D.s and EL for the lighting source. I do not believe that they are acrylic. I was impressed with the engraving on the curved surfaces. I wish I had the money and resources to make and market these in my area. The money return looks like it has good potential.

Bill Cunningham
02-06-2010, 9:58 PM
I wonder if that could be done with a sandblaster as well?
They do look nice.. Their web site is glowshield dot com