PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base Suggestions

John Finley
02-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I need some advice on two mobile bases. One will be for a flip-top cart that I am going to make for my DW735 Planer (~100lbs) and another undetermined tool (assume 75 lbs). The second mobile base will be for a Jet 14" open stand bandsaw.

Am I better off building a base and putting high-quality locking casters on it, or buying a "mobile base" from rockler, woodcraft, or another place. If the recommendation is to go with a mobile base, should I go with a 3-wheel, or a 4-wheel.

I have done quite a bit of searching on the site, but have not gotten a feel for the best option.

Thanks for the advice!

Alex Shanku
02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I built a simple 1/4" angle iron base, with a set of $20 casters from lowes. Works just fine. Btw, the planer is ~650-700lbs.

Total cost = $20

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_3800.JPG

Mike Cruz
02-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Quite honestly, I have tried both ways. I like store bought good quality 3 wheel moblile bases the best.

Whenever I have bought casters, even ones that I thought were going to be good, there is still enough play in them to allow the equipment to rock.

Unless you buy casters that are THAT good, but then you are probably spending as much as if you bought a good mobile base.

On that note, I don't like the "universal" mobile bases. Get one that fits your tool.

Here is where I got a couple of mine. Great CS, fast shipping. Don't worry about the brand, or what it is supposed to fit. Find one with the dimensions that you need (roughly). If you can't find one, call them and they can search through others that they have.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/AccessoriesCategoryOverview.aspx?catPath=4275.4377 .4386.3892

Bruce Wrenn
02-03-2010, 10:51 PM
When I built my last "flip top", I used two fixed casters (Fairbanks brand) from Northern Tool. On the other end, I used the lifting caster from a mobile base from Homier. You could substitute the lifting caster from Rockler's mobile base kit. Rockler sells the listing caster separately. You will have to call, as it isn't listed on web site. Added a couple of adjustable feet to bottom at lifting caster end.

Matt Meiser
02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I've been buying locking casters from SES Caster on Ebay for about $40/set shipped. Very similar to the ones Woodcraft or Hartville sell from photos I've seen.

keith micinski
02-03-2010, 11:08 PM
I just built a stand and mobile base for my DW735 and I just went to Lowes and got 4 casters. It is a planer, it just sits there and has no moving parts or real weight shifting around. I don't think you would need any kind of high dollar casters for a planer to feed wood thew it and then roll back out of the way.