PDA

View Full Version : Another Workbenck Question

Angelo Schembari
03-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Ok, Now that I've figured out the vice mounting, I was wondering about dog holes. One row or two (or three) for the front vice? Spacing? I figured a little less then the jaw opening of the vice. Also, one row or two for a narrow tail vice?

Thanks guys.

I'll post pics if I ever finish this thing.

Bruce Page
03-30-2003, 3:05 PM
Angelo, I went with rows of 3 holes behind my bench vice ( I don't have a tail vice). I occasionally use just the center row but more often, I use the two outer rows. My bench top is 36” deep and the holes are on 4¼” centers. So to answer your question, I would go with 2 rows rather than a single row.

Jim Izat
03-31-2003, 10:26 AM
How'd you go about drilling your dog holes? I am just about there myself.

Jim Izat

Bruce Page
03-31-2003, 12:03 PM
Jim,
I cheated. I did them on my milling machine. It was still no easy feat, my bench top is 36" X 96" and probably weighs 150+ pounds.

Bruce

PeterTorresani
03-31-2003, 1:44 PM
A mill would be my first choice, but assuming that this is not an option available to most of us, here is another thought.

Why not use a router with an indexing jig. Build a faceplate with a protruding pin that ensures proper spacing and another pin that guides along the edge of the table.

Another idea as I was typing: Use the same type of template used for adjustable shelf holes.