PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make their own lampshades?

Dan Mitchell
02-03-2010, 2:33 AM
I made a table lamp I'm pretty happy with, went to price shades, a bit taken aback. Anyone ever make a lampshade? I was thinking instead of the metal wire at the top and the bottom, I could cut something on the bandsaw out of 1/8" plywood, maybe? Looking for a shade oval in cross section, about 12" wide by 10" high by 7" deep. No idea what to make the "shade" portion out of. Heavy parchment? I should add I'd like the shade to be a reddish brown. Ideas????

TIA

Dan

Jeffrey Makiel
02-03-2010, 7:13 AM
Lampshades are tough for me.

The first lampshade was made from zebrawood veneer over a thin wood frame to match a zebrawood lamp. Looks great, but blocks a lot of light because of the solid veneer.

I also made three torch lamps with the assumption that I will make the shade from frosted plexiglass. I made the bases first which was a mistake. I should have tried to make the shades first for it would have made me scrap the design earlier or modify it to accept store bought lamp shades. I'm simply am unable to glue up plexiglass without leaving a noticeable glue line. Below is a pic of what the shade should look like. Below that is one of the naked lamps.

The only suggestion is to find a store bought lamp shade and design the lamp around it. Sorry, not much help. :(

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/TorchLamp-1a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/torch-1.jpg

Bill Leonard
02-03-2010, 7:30 AM
I break stained glass along with making sawdust, so I make my own. Lots of patterns are available through stain glass shops that would lend themselves to wood and a scroll saw. Of course you could take up stained glass as an adjunct to woodworking. Additional shop space requirements, along with tools and materials. It can become just as addictive as the smell of sawdust.

Sue Wise
02-03-2010, 7:47 AM
Yes, I have made lampshades. This site: http://www.lampshop.com/ has everything you need. They have kits and tutorials you can buy. I purchased one of their learning kits to learn how to make lampshades. It comes with many of the tools you need. Then you can purchase separate parts for the size you will need.

-Sue

Ryan Baker
02-03-2010, 8:57 PM
Sure. All of us who do hollow-form turning have made lampshades ... but that is usually not planned. :( Seriously though, lathe turned lampshades are fun to make.

Neil Brooks
02-03-2010, 9:08 PM
FWIW,

My brother's a turner. Whipped himself up some beautiful cherry lamp bases, a few weeks ago. I asked him where he got the beautiful hardware and shades for the pair.

"Costco," says he. Like ... $15 per lamp. He cannibalized them for the hardware, electrical, harp, shade, etc.

Classic "buy vs. build" decision ;)

Dan Mitchell
02-03-2010, 9:29 PM
FWIW,

My brother's a turner. Whipped himself up some beautiful cherry lamp bases, a few weeks ago. I asked him where he got the beautiful hardware and shades for the pair.

"Costco," says he. Like ... $15 per lamp. He cannibalized them for the hardware, electrical, harp, shade, etc.

Classic "buy vs. build" decision ;)

Thanks for the replies. I've looked into that option as well. You can get the harp, cord & socket at HD for about $10. The main trouble is finding a shade in the sleek, non-sloping, oval shape I'm wanting. Lowes sells shades fairly reasonably, but they're all too ornate for my tastes.I've looked at some of the online places like lampshop.com, even the parts available are missing what I have in mind.

Dan Mitchell
02-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Lampshades are tough for me.

I also made three torch lamps with the assumption that I will make the shade from frosted plexiglass.

Jeff - Looks very Deco. Seems like a globe suspended at the top with a bulb inside (somehow) would be stylistically consistent, if youu could find one the right diameter & work out its attachment