PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple NE

Toney Robertson
02-02-2010, 9:29 PM
Maybe the thickest bowl that I have turned but I wanted to highlight all the amazing undulations on the rim.

The spalted parts were very solid, no real punky areas outside of the bug holes.

12" x 4 1/2" finished with AO and no buffing. IMO these pieces looked much better with a flat finish.

All comments and critiques welcome.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/1117-117.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/1117-117A.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/1117-117B.jpg

Toney

David Christopher
02-02-2010, 9:45 PM
very nice, beautiful bowl and wood

Curt Fuller
02-02-2010, 9:46 PM
Toney, that's a great NE bowl. I agree that the thick walls show off the wood very well and the soft finish brings out the best in that wood. Nice work!

John Keeton
02-02-2010, 9:50 PM
Toney, great looking bowl!! And, I love the pics and the shaded background. Some of you guys do nearly as good on the photography as your turnings!

I also agree on the low sheen finish on pieces like this one. Just overall a nice piece of art. The form really fits the wood.

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Really nice looking piece Toney. Great looking wood and finish.

Baxter Smith
02-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I like it and agree that the thicker rim shows off the iregular edge very well! I like these as well or better than keeping the bark on. I have some blanks cut out of spalted maple that has lost its bark and would somehow like to incorporate those undulations as much as possible.

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Beautiful work Toney! You have developed quite an eye for form and what works! Very nice photography as well! To me, the second photo captures everything!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Toney Robertson
02-03-2010, 6:47 AM
I like it and agree that the thicker rim shows off the iregular edge very well! I like these as well or better than keeping the bark on. I have some blanks cut out of spalted maple that has lost its bark and would somehow like to incorporate those undulations as much as possible.

Baxter,

I agree that after the tree has lost it's bark some nice things can happen on the surface. This piece IMO has those nice things happening. I particularly like the knobs where small branches were attached. I did nothing to the rim except lightly brush off some of the loose stuff.

Toney

Toney Robertson
02-03-2010, 6:49 AM
Beautiful work Toney! You have developed quite an eye for form and what works! Very nice photography as well! To me, the second photo captures everything!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Steve for the nice comments.

I agree about picture #2. It is the best. I recently reworked my light boxes and I now have more control of intensity and direction of light. It worked well on that picture.

Toney

steven carter
02-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Toney,

Great job on both the bowl and the photography! Finish looks superb. I think the thicker walls are appropriate, it really show off the undulations and character of the natural edge, thinner would not have allowed that.

Steve

Rob Cunningham
02-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Nice job on the bowl and the photography. I think the thicker wall work well for that piece, and the soft finish shows off the wood more than a gloss would.

Allen Neighbors
02-03-2010, 7:27 PM
Toney, ya done good, Kid! Really looks just right for the wood and form. A keeper, for sure!!

David E Keller
02-03-2010, 8:00 PM
Pretty wood and a nice bowl.