PDA

View Full Version : Moving... do I remove my TS wings?

Scott Gebel
02-02-2010, 8:34 PM
I have a Ridgid 3660 and will be moving from GA to WA. Saw will ride in my enclosed trailer. Should I remove the wings and fence for transport?

Scott

Chris Harry
02-02-2010, 8:37 PM
I have a Ridgid 3660 and will be moving from GA to WA. Saw will ride in my enclosed trailer. Should I remove the wings and fence for transport?

Scott

I believe I saw a thread about this on the Ridgid forum.

I would have to say yes. I drove a 27' UHaul full of stuff for my sister, didnt go very far, but we managed to break a few things (no i wasnt driving like a nut).

Tools are sacred, like computer stuff.........when I moved my computers and monitors got seat belted into my car (not lying!!) to make sure they made the move OK. Table saw should be treated the same way :)

Jeff Monson
02-02-2010, 8:47 PM
I'd say remove both or none at all, either way strap in down good inside your trailer and there shouldnt be any issues.

Hugh Jardon
02-02-2010, 9:10 PM
When you get there, I would think you will want to check the alignment of the saw. If so, where's the harm in removing the wings, if they help load up. In fact, it would force you to re-align, so no bad thing.

Willard Foster
02-02-2010, 9:27 PM
Can't you just leave the wings on and fly it there? ;-)

John Maus
02-02-2010, 9:41 PM
Scott,

I moved from NC to CO and removed the wings from my saw. As sturdy as they are in the shop, they are not at all designed to be bounced around as they would be moving cross country. Especially when the entire weight is only supported by four bolts. A pain? Yes. More than it would be if you damaged your saw? No.

Norman Pyles
02-03-2010, 12:56 AM
I'd remove the motor, wings, rails, then flip the saw over, and let it ride on its top. Put some cardboard or something soft under it.

Brian Ashton
02-03-2010, 3:08 AM
makes it lighter and less likely to break anything

Dan Forman
02-03-2010, 3:44 AM
I would definitely remove them.

Dan

Ken Shoemaker
02-03-2010, 8:41 AM
Remove them... I guarantee that during the move SOMEBODY will use them to lift the saw. You probably have to recheck the setup of the saw anyway.

If you have a jointer, be careful no one tries to lift that from the ends as well. If you spring the tables, your on a journey thruogh hell to get it back.

DAMHIKT..... Best of luck to you, Ken

Tony Bilello
02-03-2010, 8:51 AM
I'd remove the motor, wings, rails, then flip the saw over, and let it ride on its top. Put some cardboard or something soft under it.

That is the way I have always done it. About 8 times already.

Kent A Bathurst
02-03-2010, 9:00 AM
Remove them... I guarantee that during the move SOMEBODY will use them to lift the saw....

Exactly.

tententen

Scott Gebel
02-06-2010, 3:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about someone miss handling the saw because it will go in my 7x16 enclosed trailer and not with the movers. It will be in the trailer for a couple months so I plan on re-waxing it, removing the wings, and transporting it on it's top.

Jim Heffner
02-12-2010, 1:13 AM
I think it boils down to a couple of logical answers:

(1) remove the table saw wings usually no more than 3 or 4 bolts per wing
strap saw to a pallet, and put the wings on a separate pallet, strap them
down. or

(2) obtain a large heavy duty pallet or build your own to the size needed.
Turn saw upside down with a movers blanket between saw top and pallet
strap it down.

I think the best thing for a long move is to immoblize the saw in every way you can to protect it, and keep it from moving around. This way, less chance of something happening to it.

Curt Harms
02-12-2010, 8:34 AM
That's how I'd do it. Makes things as light as possible.