PDA

View Full Version : bedan tool

Harry Goodwin
02-02-2010, 8:26 PM
I'm a little confused. I own a bedan 3/8th tool and was of the idea it was used bevel down like a scraper with clearance provided on the sides. Lee valley sell one and the pictures show it used bevel up Which is right or is it in the mind of the user. thanks Harry

Chuck Stone
02-02-2010, 8:38 PM
I'm sure you could use it either way, but I use mine with the bevel up.
This is the way I've always seem it used in demos.

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2010, 9:15 PM
I use it both ways but 90% of the time with the bevel up. I use it bevel down to make tenons. Works extremely well.

Thomas Canfield
02-02-2010, 9:58 PM
Harry,

I' am confused now also. I have had a similar Bedan for over a year and never thought about using it with the bevel up. I haven't seen any instructions for one either and the time I saw it used/demonstrated it was bevel down. It is a useful tool for tenons and for shallow recess (1/16" or so) used for the PSI expanding collet.

Curt Fuller
02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Ok, now I'm confused too. I've never used mine bevel up. I've always thought of it as a pointed scraper.:confused::confused:

Allen Neighbors
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I was that way about it also... but found out it is almost like a skew, used bevel up. Try it, using practice wood, until you are comfortable with it. What some of Stu from Tokyo's You tube videos on the bedan. He makes eggs with it, if I remember correctly.

Bill Clifton
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
This is really an informative thread. I am going to Wikipedia "bedan" then when you all figure out "bevel up" or "bevel down" I'll be an expert.

bob edwards
02-02-2010, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bedan&search_type=&aq=f

Have a look at this site and watch all three of the youtube videos on the BEDAN. These should be of some help

Bob Edwards
San Antonio

Chuck Mack
02-03-2010, 12:55 AM
The tool is designed to be used bevel up for cutting as an alternative to the skew(?) , but as some have pointed, if you use it bevel down, you'll get the scraping effect.

Dick Gerard
02-03-2010, 6:38 AM
sorry Chuck, but if you use the bedan bevel down and rubbing, then you are not scraping you are cutting. I have watched Jean Francois Escoulen use his bedan both bevel up and bevel down. Believe me, he cuts the wood, not scrapes. And the way he uses it and the finish it leaves behing allows him to start sanding in the 240 grit range ... if it requires sanding at all!

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I have seen a demo with Jean and yes it does cut not scrape with the bevel down. He made a tenon and that is where I use it most with the bevel down. You can tilt it and cut a perfect dovetail for Nova or Vic chucks. After talking with Stu in Tokyo and watching his video you can get a surface as good if not better than a skew.

Bob Haverstock
02-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Dang it! Now, I've read the thread and watched the clips. I want one! It is a good thing that the St. Louis Wood Show is coming up soon. Maybe PSI will have one for me, if not, I guess I can make one.

Bob

Allen Neighbors
02-03-2010, 7:33 PM
Bob, I made mine by drilling a larger bit hole in one of my older Oland tools, and made the cutter from a 3/8 HSS cutter. I have about 1.5 inches of cutter protruding from the shaft. Works well. :)